Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Engine Opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigerik, Feb 25, 2001.

1. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Well, after 20 years, the 350 in the '81 Chevy SWB 1 ton is getting tired. It has a TH400 (insist on keeping) and a Doubler on order. Tires are 39.5X18, 5.13 gears. Has 795 cfm Q-jet, 9" lift, major fender trimming, no need to exceed 65-70 mph. Live in CA so it needs to smog, but I have lenient mechanic. I was thinking carbureted 383 since I already have MSD, other goodies. I see alot of steep angles, so TPI would make me feel more secure. Big block might be too heavy for off-camber scenarios. Please share your input!

2. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

400 small block w/ speedomotives 415 strong arm stroker kit! I'm going that route when i rebuild my 400. It has all the torque of a big block stuffed into the small block! Check it out at www.speedomotive.com!

balbandit

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a winner--I wasn't aware of that option. Too bad I sold my 400 block.

4. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

500lbs of torque at 4200 rpm!

balbandit

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Just for some info., Check out what Chevy has to offer.
    I went with the 350HO 330hp and like it alot.
    It all depends on what you want to spend.
    My motor was about $2,500 Good luck
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_engine/index.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<font color=red> Ride'in High In My K5! [​IMG]

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That 383 you mention, topped off with TPI. TPI seriously kicks tail..........see mine below.

Goes through smog very easily. Dude up here in Oregon thought his machine was bad, considering a '79 was ssssoooooooooooo clean.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'd definitely go with some sort of fuel injection. Carbs just don't like steep inclines. A 383 or 400 would be a good choice. A BBC is more $$$ but definitly more torque. As far as a weight difference, there isn't much.

454 weighs: 685lbs
    350 weighs: 575lbs
    difference= 110lbs

That weight won't make any difference on off-camber situations. Add alum. heads and the weight is almost the same compared to a SB.

Another option many are doing is a 500ci Cadilac. I think that engine is even lighter than a SBC but is getting rare to find these days. A little more work has to be done to get it to fit but the HP and torque makes it worth it.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

8. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6.2/6.5L turbodiesel----655lbs dry

I have my tweaked mine to 250hp and 451 lbs ft. Diesel's by nature are fuel injected and can operate at any angle. I like my low end torque, and the 15-20mpg figures. Diesel power!

my $.02

David
    '85 diesel burban

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AgDieseler on 02/26/01 09:33 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

Another option is to buy a Dart Little M small block(can be bored and stroked out to 455 cubes I believe) or a chevy performance parts Sportsman bowtie block(same specs), although neither are cheap and are only bare blocks. If it were me and the block was in good shape and had 4 bolt mains I'd have it bored and honed 30 over and clearanced for the stroker crank. Since you've already got the block and other goodies, the 383 would probably end up being the least expensive and provide the most power(for the money of course)