Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need exaust options,,,, H PIPE?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 9, 2006.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Need opinions on what type of exaust to get for the 74, its got hookers on it right now,,,,i wanted to do the exaust from the flanges back......

Is there any special way to run the exaust? I see alot of guys dumping it out underneath and down,,,,sugestions?

Its going to be wheeled, so i need something that wont rust, i was thinking Magnaflows, any suggestions?

FIRE AWAY!:laugh:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

i just got 2 40 series flowmasters put on my rig and it just has hooker headers. it sounds awesome. i dont know how loud you are going for however but it is deep and LOUD. if your plannin on wheelin hard i would definitally go dumps just because it keeps the water out of your pipes and you dont have to worry bout bangin up those fancy tips that would be stickin out otherwise. heres a pic of mine only a few days old. goodluck though!

[​IMG]

3. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I dumped the cats and went with Magnaflow duels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  4. fasthumpman

hey how do you like those magnaflows wishbone??? ive never really gotton the opportunity to get to see/hear them installed on a chevy. that looks pretty sweet :thumb:

5. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Best mufflers I ever had. Although I have only had Gibson and flowmasters before. These Magnaflows have a really nice sound at idle, really throaty sound when you get on it, and hardly noticable at cruising speeds. Best part is they do not resonate one bit like my flowmasters did. Those things would give me a headache by days end.:(

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Where did you get them, I'm looking at changing my muffler on my 88 and want something that sounds good, but doesn't have the resonating drone like I have now with knock off flows.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Alrught now,,,are thise stainless steel? Will they rust?

Because my 74 has old Flowmaster 40s on it right now, and there all rusted up bro, rusted to hell :deal:

Im thinking the Magnaflows are the ones that dont rust, and the flowmasters DO? :confused: The flows on it right now are rusted to hell........

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Those look really nice, is there any certain Magnaflow that BETTER than another?

If so, what are the GOOD ones?

9. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Steve, I got them installed at my local muffler shop. Anyone who carries Flowmaster will likely carry or can get Magnaflows as well.

Hi Pinion, you are right the flowmasters will rust over time. The Magnaflow are made of 100% stainless steel and while I suppose could possibly rust with age it would take a long time. Heres a link...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=350

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:eek1: THANKS!

11. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

They do make s/s flowmasters, but they are not cheap, but neither are the alumnized ones.

12. fasthumpman

now your makin me think twice bout my exhuast :(!!!!! but if my blazer keeps goin the way it is...... the mufflers should outlast it without a doubt

13. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here is a link, http://yukon.b0xen.us/headersweb.html, to who I ran my exhaust on my 69 K20. It goes 3" from the headers to the X-pipe. The X-pipe is 3" and necks down on the output side to 2 1/2". Then 2 1/2" pipe back to Dynomax Ultraflo's and on back to right before the trailer hitch.

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/

I have never used one of their mufflers before but listen to the sound clips. You will be drooling. My favorite of theirs is their new Violator muffler. The clips take a while to load, but they are well worth it.

Also I am not that much of a fan of Magnifows, but I love Flow Master 40 series.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

DD = simple single system with cat and cheapy muffler . Works for me .

My project rig has Hooker with fully welded flanges , 3 inch pipes with fully welded flanges , and some glasspacks I had lying around :D

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I've got them on my '78. How old are yours? can you send me pic's of the flowmasters? I'm looking for some for my '74 trailer queen? Can they be cleaned up? Would you be willing to send the old ones to me after you replace them.....

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

You can HAVE THEM man. Free***

After i change mine of coarse:D

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ALSO,,,,

Should i run an H -PIPE? When i have them do the exaust?

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The only thing a h pipe does for SBC is make them sound better. May give a little more torque down low but thats about it.
    H pipes are a Ford Winsor thing. They do wonders for winsor engines because of their fireing order. Cyls on the same side fire right after each other. the crossover reduces back pressure on one side flowing excess to the other side with no pressure. SBC has a even fireing order so a crossover is not really needed.
    Running an H pipe wont hurt a SBC but if you have to pay a lot extra for it. its just not worth it.
    To install the Crossover pipe right so it is tuned for your exhaust. The best way is to do the dual exhaust without a crossover. Then spray paint the pipe behind the collector back to the muffs. Take it for a drive then take look at the pipes. The place where the paint starts to burn off is the best place to install the crossover.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, those are regular aluminized flowmasters and will look identical to yours in 2 months of winter driving....
    I looked at your mufflers, they have some surface rust on them, but thats about it. Thats what flowmasters look like with a few months of winter driving, I'm sure they would have years of service left in them before they start to leak and actually need replacing.

flowmaster does have SS mufflers, but they are high. Magnaflow specializes in SS mufflers and systems, but also carry aluminized versions. Personally, I'd go with aluminized. We live in California, we don't need SS because stuff barely rusts here. Try a midwest winter with snow, sleet, ice, and SALT. They are the guys that really need SS. Unless you are building a show truck with super stupid shiny mufflers, I don't see the need for stainless.

I just put a 5" MBRP system on my Ram Cummins, all aluminized of course, except for the tip.

Your mufflers are not "rusted to hell." They have normal, standard, muffler surface rust on them that is nearly unavoidable without an SS system.

Regardless, I can get you what ever mufflers you'd like Jake, just let me know when you are ready. I can help you choose a muffler if you'd like and I can have it drop shipped to your door.;)