Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Exhaust for 85 Suburban ANY IDEAS?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BURBIN406, Nov 28, 2002.

1. BURBIN406

BURBIN406 Registered Member

I am in need of a dual exhaust system for my 1985 Suburban. When I installed the 6" lift, my front driveshaft now hits the y-pipe and can't be installed. I am interested in a manifold back system since my truck only has 72,000 original miles on it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i would go to a performance exhaust shop and have them build you a complete system. i'd go single 3" pipe hi-flow cats (if you need cats) and a flowmaster 50 series muffler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problem you now have. If you must run cats then I'd do what muddysub suggests. If you can go without cats, I had true duals run from the manifolds back and out each side of the truck. The shop used 21/4" pipe and flowmasters. They only charged me $350 which I thought was pretty good. If your existing exhaust is still in good condition, have an exhaust shop make a new RH pipe for the Y-pipe that will not be in the way. That would only have cost me $75 but I needed new exhaust anyway otherwise I would have gone with that route. Just a suggestion. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're replacing the exhaust system, why not go to headers ??? I was a die hard Hooker Headers fan, but now I want Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers !!!! Gotta love that TRI-Y for the torque, and how they're made for 4 Wheel Drive trucks !!!!!! For duals, I'd say 2.25" exhause with flowmasters, and Meg's exhaust tips. I like 40 series mufflers, but I like them loud !!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to spend too much, ask an exhuast shop to lower the Y-pipe...they shouldn't charge too much, but, if you want to go dual, now's the time to do it.
    I'd get Afterburner headers and run 2.5" pipe with flowmasters.
    Midas should only charge around $350 to do the whole thing for you. By law, you have to use as many cats as the truck came with...in your case, you have to run one on one side, but not on the other because yours came stock with only one cat.

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

well i just finished installing an exhaust on my 85 sub with 6" lift this is what i did..

1. doug thorley headers summit part # DTE-364Y-S
    price = $369.00
    2. catco universal cat summit part # CTO-6007
    3" in 3" out $53.69

3. flowmaster series 50 SP# FLO-53055
    3" in 3" out $91.95

4. summit 3" aluminized pipe SUM-640030
    2 pieces 4' each $26.78

5. To make the Y-pipe i went to napa and bought various elbows and some 2.5" pipe. i saved the receipt some where /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    if you think this what yo might want to do, i'll find the receipt with all the part #'s and take some picks of my system.. let me say that the thorleys fit great and summit rules... and the pipe sections i got from napa were very easy to make work if you have a welder a drill press and a 2.5" hole saw....

ps the thorleys i got are smog type... good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

On my '85,I am running Thorley's Tri-y's and a JC Whitney dual kit. The pipe was on sale for $110. I am using the Summit fully welded mufflers. I think they are the same as Flotech's afterburner muffler. I ran the pipes out the back since I have barn doors. Ordered a couple of sticks of 2.25" from Summit when I ordered the mufflers. Don't have to worry about smog here, so no cats. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. BURBIN406

BURBIN406 Registered Member

Thanks for all of the great Ideas!

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

if you only half to run 1 cat then it would be kinnda nice to run a H pipe with the cat in the middle right? There for the cat wouldent hardley do anything right?or im I just trying to beat the law to hard /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You could do it...but they could get you because it's not effective. Call an inspection place and ask if it matters where the cat is on the system...if not, do it!