Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need exhaust system for '74 K5...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jdoe, Jun 4, 2005.

1. jdoe

jdoe Registered Member

I need to mail order a drop-in exhaust system that goes from the headers all the way back. The one in the LMC Truck catalog won't fit the K5 without some modifications which I don't have the equipment to do. I want to find a pre-made kit that literally comes out of the box and bolts onto the truck without any modification. Does such a thing exist? Everything on the truck is stock. I am trying to avoid going to the exhaust shop because the guy wants close to $500 for the job.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jegs and Summit...

They have kits in Jeg's and Summit Racing catologs that fit 73-87 GM trucks with stock manifolds for about 110 bucks..no mufflers included though,they let you add whatever ones you choose separately...I think "hooker" makes them..I've seen other brands similar too..but they are probably a "universal" type kit,and might not have all the hangers and oem stuff like that--you have to go to a regular parts store and get them from Walker,or a similar company..I dont think you'll find a "complete" exhaust system in one box.. :crazy:

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

if it's a 75, can't you just put straight pipes on it? That couldn't cost $500. Who needs mufflers anyway. I run duel with no cats and no mufflers and it can still run quiet if you don't lay on the gas. BUT, when you want to scare that old lady next to you or some furd explorer tries to pull on you with a grin, they get loud and mean real quick!!

4. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

jegs has a good kit, i bought it for my shortbox, its pretty thin stuff but it is 2-1/4 inch pipe, all i had to buy was a couple flowmasters and the reducers to bolt up to the headers, it came with all the hardware and it slips and bolts together, i had to buy it because mine is an 84' and i put headers on it and nobody would tie it into the existing exaust without installing cats.

5. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

I was able to make the LMC fit with bolt on parts from Advanced Auto. I was never happy with the results. You are correct to look for a better system.