Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need extended front drive shaft for 4in lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Apr 28, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Do I need one? My friend just lifted his short bed chevy 4in, and says he needs one. Is he full of it?

2. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

nah man, i just lifted mine last week, all ya need to do is drop the transfer case, and that only takes 5 minutes.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

You don't need either shaft lengthened with 4''. I have 6'' and both stock shafts. If you lower the T-case it will help eliminate vibrations in the rear shaft by improving u-joint angles, but at the same time it will make the angles for the front shaft worse. I am just living with the lowered T-case untill I can afford a c/v shaft for the rear.

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Blazinaire... Driveline service in West Sacramento builts CV shafts for 300.00. Just to let you know. I had to have my rear driveshaft lengthened 2" with my 4" lift. Even with lowering my transfercase 1" I also had to shim my rear blocks in order to get my angle right. They charged me 77.00 to lengthen the driveshaft and balance it. It is smooth now though.