Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need fast reply!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm24m, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

OK, here's the deal. I found a 72 blazer for sale in Romeoville, Illinois. Thats about a 450 mile drive for me. The guys asking $7000, my limit is $6000, which he said he would take. He said there is no rust("mint body" as he put it), good paint (last year) , 350/auto tranny, good 35's (thornbirds), 4in susp, 3in body lift, decent interior, no top at all(bummer), and dana 44's front and rear with 4:10's. Now here's the catch. He hasn't driven it much since he bought it, so he doesn't know much about it's running condition. He says he "ran the numbers" on the motor and it came back as a "target" replacement (whatever that means). A replacement motor as he put explained it. The only leak he knows of is a small tranny leak. He has never taken it on the highway, so can't give me an idea how it drives at highway speeds, only around town, which he said drives good. Also, the title is an issue. He said he has the title (clean) but he has never registered it in his name. In other words, it was signed by the guy he bought it from and never put into his name. No plates either. So.......what do you guys think? Is it worth the ride to IL? What about the legality of the title issue? Please, I need fast replys because this is the last weekend I'll be able to drive up there for a month and a half (military B.S.), might be able to squeeze out a weekday or two though. Thoughts....info....HELP!!!!

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'd wait untill you can run the stuff threw your Department of motor vehicles.....Dan

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The "target" replacement motor is the stock 350 crate motor from GM. Aprox 250hp. 6K doesn't sound bad for a 72 with a mint body if the rest of the truck is mechanically sound. The title thing I don't know about. If you went to buy it, he would probably have to go register the truck under his name, get the new title, and then sign it and give it to you. Thornbird tires kinda suck, but if they have decent tread left you could probably sell them to some poser for a decent price.

4. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Personally unless the title issue gets fixed I'd leave it alone...chances are he won't want to pay to get it registered. If IL is anything like Louisiana you have to get insurance first before you can registar with DMV(Dept. Motor Vehicles). So therefore you get a title, have to track down the previous owner so that he can sign it again except over to you and then you get it. I went through the same situation except with a boat trailer. Just something to think about it could turn into a messy situation quickly....

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

When I got mine the title was the same way, on the title back there were additional owner/seller signature places so it could exchange hand a few times before waiting in line at the dmv. Anyway i dont know if it means anything seeing how I am in colorado.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you notice that blazer has a 1967/1968 front clip on it... the hood and grille.
    Looks pretty cool.

looks and sounds pretty decent for 6K.
    If you went there with 6K cash in hand... Money Talks!

but that issue with the title could be a pain!
    Definatly worth talking him down a few thousand if you want it bad enough to deal with the paperwork and legal issues. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

let me add my 2 lincolns about the title deal...

In missouri, where i am from originally, they got away from having to get the title notarized, which was awesome for guys like me that would sell the thing shortly after i bought it, or buy it and let it sit for a couple of months then sold it. the title would have already been signed by the original owner, and as long as i hadnt signed it, whoever i sold it too could just sign it and take it to the DMV and have the title issued in their name and it was like i never had it. very simple.

BUT----here in north cacka-lacky, they do require notary, so, it would be a royal PITA, as well as awkward, to call a guy you never met and meet him with a notary for a title to a car he DIDNT sell to you. so, we have to take car of all that stuff asap around here.

check your state and the state its in and see what thier requirements are. it could be no big deal to do, or be a HUGE mess. depends on the state.

good luck rob

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are thinking of buying it call the guy and ask for the VIN...then call the cops/DMV and ask if it has been stolen. I had a friend who bought a motorcycle under the same terms and when he went to the DMV to regester it they called the Hwy Patrol!

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

In colorado, on the back on my title, there is a place to sign over your title at the top....Then there are 4 additional spaces to sign over the title, but is say about those..."The following reassignments may ONLY BE USED BY LICENSED DEALERS..." So I can't help you....I would say see if you can't have him register it in his state (it only cost $70 for my title and temp. tags in CO) and then he will have an official title to sign over to you...

Good Luck...

Chris

11. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Just a little update. I decided to pass on the blazer. To much was iffy about it. I did notice the front clip, which also made me curious. I called the guy back and got the previous owners name off the title. I looked him up on the internet and gave him a call. He was very helpful and said that he wasn't sure it would make the trip, at least in the condition he sold it in three years ago (mechanically). He also said he sold it with a wrecked front end, which explains the different front clip. Going by what I told him, he said it sounded like a lot of work had been done to it since he sold it. That doesn't fit well with how little the guy said he knew about the truck. Though I'm sure the guy is being honest, the whole deal just sounds a little fishy. I don't feel like driving that far just to turn around and come home K5-less. Thanks for all the help in making a tough decision. So......still looking.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here in Kans-Ass, they require notarizations on titles, too. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif This sucks!!

I have bought trucks out of Utah, Colorado, and Texas, and none of them required a notary seal at all.

Maybe I should move to one of these states! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I do a lot of buying and selling of automobiles. Since I do not have a dealer license or tags, I have to register and tag the trucks just like anybody else. This is in order to sell the truck. We can't even hold a title that has been signed by the seller and notarized and try to sell the truck to somebody else. Here in Kans-Ass, they fine you a substantial sum if you do this. All titles have to be registered in your name if you sell it to someone else. So, I have to spend the extra dough to register and tag the dang truck, even if I have a buyer before I do the tagging and registering. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yeah wes, why don't you move on down here to texas, everyone i know says kansas is too cold anyway

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I did that, then I would have to listen to everybody say that it's too damn hot in TX!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

bitch, bitch, bitch...LMAO

16. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Hold your 6 thousand and get another 1 thousand then buy a sdpc 502/502 (502hp 502ci) engine. Then wait till a k5 shows up in you local area. you can usually get one with a good tranny transfer case and axles for 1 thousand or so, and drop the 502 in it. I know it sounds goofy and maybe unreasonable but thats what I would do.

17. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

KANSAS IS JUST FINE! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Gets chilly some and your nuts shrink bout to the size of peas but for me its worth it, no emmissions laws cops usually dont care about anything and the best part is, all the game there is to shoot!