Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need feedback on custom bolt ons...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Dec 23, 2001.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Okay I need some feedback to see if any of this is worth following through with. As some of you know I'm unemployed..again[​IMG] So I got to thinking and heres what I came up with...make some stuff for my fellow Fullsize lovers.
    <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="100911162755Willy">

Which would you like
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">front bumpers. prerunner or winch style
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">rear bumpers. with or without tire carrier
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3">rock sliders
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4">rear shock set up
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="5"> I'd like one or more of the above, go for it
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="6">yeah right kid!get a real job
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>
    I'm planning the rear shock conversion set up anyway...just need to quit changing my mind on the design of it...I think I have the final idea for it[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i need a roll cage too, something i can put a soft top over, ok?

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm sure tomorrow when I check this and there are like 1,000 replies wanting stuff I'll probably change my mind,LOL[​IMG]
    I'm just wanting to know if this is a smart move.....I could just build mine and let you drool over them at Moab[​IMG]

any feedback will be greatly appreciated

When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

No roll cages at this time....my first business adventure and I don't want the liability. That and everyone wants them built different. Better off just gettting a S&amp;W cage, run ya like $199..

55 Willy's

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, Id tell ya, I sure wish someone would make a reasonable priced front replacement winch bumper for my Dodge Ram! I cant find a good looking one for less then 1000.00. You interested? [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Well, bumpers are always big, but price is what made me get my made at a local shop. He did it by my pictures and my assistance. I can do a little welding, but not good enough yet. He only charged me 400 dollars for both front and rear. Granted not complicated things, but stout as hell and just what I wanted. SEC makes some great stuff, but the price is a killer. So, if you do decide to make for others, you will have to undercut some others on price in order to get business, then your reputation will take over from there. If you are thinking about doing it, talk to Steve Frisbie, as he has great rep, makes great stuff, and is generally an all around good guy. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Jeremy, I am still interested in the rear shock setup, just gotta get you pics of my fuel pump. Maybe today, finally it is sunny and gorgeous outside.

Front bumper is also a maybe. I have the Warn Classic but want more of a prerunner style one that can hold my M1200 winch as well as 4 lights and two D-rings, and maybe a front 2" receiver tube integrated. Let me get the pics of the fuel pump setup then we'll go from there.

Merry Xmas !

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you can arrange a quality set of sliders, and a sweet rear bumper, I'm all over 'em! You need to figure prices for all this stuff, and get yourself some pics posted of your custom armor/equipment.

Hope you'll have mine done in a few weeks! [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Speaking of rear shock setups... I've been looking around - and not to steal anyone's design but, I like this one:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com/whats_new.html>http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com/whats_new.html</a>

Steve's got a nice looking product there... I'm thinking about getting one of these in the spring. I've already committed to an armored D60 diff cover, and am thinking about ordering up a 14BFF cover too...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How about just a tire carrier with a hi-lift mount and gas can holder? Or bumper for up front to mount a winch which can be removed (the winch not the bumper) to place in the back. Then possibly a bracket to mount it (the winch again) inside the truck to the rear floor so it's not sitting out in the open as a target for theft or the elements.

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

55, we've talked before. If I was you, I'd design a couple of items that could be relatively standard....front/rear bumps and the shock x-member would be good for that. Once you have those designs done, make a list (prolly short at first) of options that the buyer could add on IF they wanted to. Set a base price for the basic model bumper...then make each add-on appropriately more $$$. I got my bumper from KMA...and thats how they do it. Standard wincher = certain price (around $200 of I remember right), big D-rings = lil more...turn signal kit = lil more. Its cool to give 'wheelers options, they are gonna want them anyway. I chose to get the rings/signals...other peeps would want bull bars and poop like that. With a base-model + addons type system, everyone can get what exactly what they want and invest the amount of $$$ the want to as well.

All that said...wanna come over and help me get them rivets off? ;)

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mike-
    Not at this time, I don't have a dodge here to work off of. Plus I'm just starting out.

55 Willy's

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Jason-
    yeah we've talked quite a bit on this. Thast the same idea I had, have a base modle then a price upgrade for options.
    I couldn't get up there til after new year's

55 Willy's

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Steph-
    Sounds workable.

55 Willy's

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Joel-Steves products are sweet, thats what got me thinking
    Frank-No problem just let me know
    Dan-thanks for the imput.

Everyone else- the last option in the poll is more a retoricale(sp?) question[​IMG] please vote for another choice,LOL

55 Willy's

16. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I have seen your work Jeremy and you do an AWSOME job. I think you should go for it. Im sure everyone who buys from you will be pleased as well. :)

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

do you have sketeches or anything? i am looking for a bumper combo, something REALLY simple. 2 D-Rings front and rear and room in front for me to stand on the bumper to work on the engine. need rock sliders too. have you done a peliminary cost analasiyis (WOW! look at that terrible speeling![​IMG]) on each item?

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Zakk-
    Simple is good[​IMG]
    Right now it looks like $175-$200 across the board
    with the rear shock set up at $75-$100
    the winch option bumper will be slightly more, as will the Burban sliders.

55 Willy's

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

bringing this back to the top!

*update*
    heres a ball park on prices:
    Sliders-$200-Burb $250
    Rear Shock set up- $75-$100(still trying to nail this one down)
    Front bumper-$200 for a standard
    pre runner bar-$50
    d-rings-$25
    turn lights-$25(for 1981 and 1982)
    rear bumper-$200 base
    I will honor certain discounts

I would rather make what you want to buy, then to make you buy what I have for sale.

I'll try to get samples of the K-5 stuff built and tested on my brothers 81-[​IMG]he just doesn't know it yet[​IMG]

More feed back will be greatly appreciated

55 Willy's

20. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

im interested in a bumper, and anything to help out a fellow ck5'r. try to post some sketches of ur front bumper design.

phill