Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Feedback on the New GMC 2500HD 4WD Trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave1, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

I am contemplating the purchase of a new truck and my choice would likely be a new GMC 2500HD 4WD pick up. Not sure if I would go with gas or diesel.

I would like to hear feedback from any owners of these trucks. What do you like or dislike about them. Any problems with them etc.

Thanks, Dave
    davisalf@aol.com

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I really cant complain about my '04 2500 HD crew cab with the duramax/allison combo. I put and EDGE system on it around 5000 miles and now it has almost 10,000 on it and not a problem yet other then a slight gear lube smell in 4x4 but that has since gone away. Its awesome smoking little ricers with an 8000 lb. truck :D

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have an 05 Silverado CC longbed Duramx/Allison. It's great I have 5K miles on it already. I drive it everywere.

As for gas vs. diesel, if you plan on it being a tow rig you want diesel. If you are gonna lift it and wheel...well both would work for htat too so it's a matter of what you want..
    Good Luck
    Burt

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are good trucks if you don't mind IFS. You want diesel without a doubt if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time. Regardless if you tow the diesel will cost less inthe long run from not only better mileage but an engine that will easily outlast a gas engine and will not have the cost of adding a econd gas engine at say 200K when the diesel still has 1/2 it's life left. Basically, in the trucks life it will need two gas engines that will cost more than the initial purchase of one diesel engine from the factory.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Had an '01 2500HD with the 6.0l 6" lift and 35s it would tow the K5 but I always wished it was the 8.1l or diesel. Now looking into the Excursion 6.0l and Ram 5.9l:blush: Would love to get into a DuraMax but just too spendy right now. I will tell you when I was having a motor put into my HD I drove a D-max equipt. truck they had there. OMFG at first I was like eh, till I realized I was doing about 90MPH!!! AWESOME to say the least!

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dmax/Alli I love mine.

No real problems to speak of.. Some minor warranty things is all.

John

7. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

What is the mileage you are getting with your trucks?

I have heard that these 2500HD 4WD trucks with the 6.0 gas engines average around 14-16 MPG and the diesel averages around 18-20MPG.

To get a rough estimate of fuel costs I went by the local gas stations and saw that diesel was $2.20 or so a gallon while regular grade 87 octane gas was around $1.80. At $.40 more a gallon for diesel does the mileage of the diesel engine make up that higher cost per gallon difference?

To answer that question I did my own calculations using the above average MPG figures and calculated the fuel cost for 100 and 1000 miles traveled. The cost for fuel is almost identical.

The diesel engine will definitely last longer but the purchase price is approximately $6,000 higher than the same truck with a gas engine. If your diesel mileage is considerable more than the figures I was given, it may be slightly more economical to operate the diesel but it sure is much more expensive.

I am just trying to look at all of the angles here.

Thanks, Dave
    davisalf@aol.com

8. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 05 D/A truck and get about 18 on the interstate and around 15 to 17 running around. The problem for me is that I only have a 10 mile comute one way to work. The diesels just like to get on the highway and run, not do short trips with stoplights.

I don't belive the engine paying for itself stuff myself. I bought the truck to tow my toys and I just happen to have to drive it daily for work.

My wife has a 03 with the 6.0 in it and it is a real nice motor for towing as long as you remeber that it is not a Duramax. It does just fine running down the highway and pulling all of the passes here in Colorado. Although everytime I drive it I wish that it had a Duramax in it.

The positive thing about the Duramax costing more is that the truck will also sell for more when you get rid of it.

The rest of the truck is real nice. Mine is an extended cab short bed and it rides good although I don't like how choppy the rear feels going over bumps. The interior is the best out there in my opinion and I am growing fond of the body style.

I guess my advice is to look real hard at what you do with the truck. If you want to tow and haul a$$ diong it get a Duramax. If it is a daily driver with minimal towing get the 6.0 or 8.1.
    Hope this helps.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looking into buying one right now.

I have friends/family with different version of each of the big 3.

For ride and interior the GM wins,

For the best Diesel, Dodge wins,

Best Gasser motor (not sure)

Auto tranny GM wins,

Looks IMHO Chevy comes in last, still split on Ford vs. Dodge as the winner (leaning toward Ford).

I have noticed that engine and tranny combos make a difference especially with the diesels. Due to the PowerBands (for lack of a better term), some motors seem to work better with an auto vs. stick and vice versa. It's hard to explain (more of a ride feeling). I would take your time and test drive A LOT of trucks with different combos before deciding (test drives are on the Dealer's dime anyways).

My biggest complaint (living in the snowbelt) is that you cannot get a plow for a diesel in an extended cab (longbed) or any type of crew cab. Not that is going to be a problem in Florida or warm climates, but might be something or others to consider.

I just can't believe I'm buying a 2500HD "Heavy Duty" and can't put a plow on it because it exceeds the front axle GVRW :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

At least Ford and Dodge allow you to run a Crew Cab and plow.

I will probably still get the CC and Max/Ali combo because I want to get out of plowing anyways, but it would be nice to have an option (this is based on Fisher and Boss plows, don't know if there is a "light-weight" unit that will work).

Good luck!

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I've got an 05 GMC 2500HD duramax 6 speed 4x4, and i couldnt be happier. Just a redular cab longbox with a/c, vynyl seats, and all the work truck options . Got an 8 foot blade on it and it works mint. Hauls 2 ton in the bead easily, and a 12,000 lb trailer at 55 on cruise without shifting up any grades around here.

05GMCcollage.jpg

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I bought my '02 2500HD DMax/Alli CC 4x4 Short bed as they were changing to the '03 with "angry chinaman" front cap. I wanted a new truck, and hated the new fronts, so I jumped while the gettin' was good. Never regretted it. I've owned GM, Dodge and Ford over many years of fooling with various things. Whether working hard with a load, cross country family trips, or tooling around with the family for a night out, this truck is better than anything else I've ever owned. It hasn't even been in to the dealer one time since I bought it and it's been a great truck in every way.

And the IFS is a *GOOD* thing in every situation but one. If you want to lift it and wheel it, you want solid, otherwise, IFS is SO much better for daily driving, towing, traveling, or anything else. The only other down side is cost of repairs, but in the HDs, it's heavy enough that there should be little problem with breakage. Lots of guys with chipped diesels running 13 second quarter miles on 33" tires with 7k+ crew cabs and stalled 4WD launches with no problems (other than bent tie rods once they get into the 13 second range), so I don't think I'll have much trouble.

12. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have the HD 1500 with the 6.0, I think I got 14.5 once. I usually get around 13-14 tops. I pull a toy hauler travel trailer that usually weighs in somewhere around 9K and it struggles. I have the 3.73's, 4.11's would definately help along with some other mods. I pulled my K5 to our local trails (pretty good grade up the 4-lane to Shaver Lake), it did ok but gears would be a big help. I am looking into getting a Duramax in the next year myself.

GM- Powerful, best interrior and interrior options, rougher ride than the Ford. Still my choice, I love my truck for a gasser but want the diesel.

Ford- Good looking truck very powerful solid front and has a very comfortable ride.

Dodge- very powerful but ugly in my opinion solid front, havent test driven this one yet.

13. rjfguitar

Not in the long run if you plan on keeping the truck until the doors fall off and is completely ready for scrap. The extra 6k$ is not as much as you think when that will be the last engine you will have to buy for it. WHen the 6.0 or 8.1 blows up at 200K and it costs another $4k to have GM install a new crate motor, that initial $6K will look cheap.....Especially if you go with the 8.1L that is $1-2K from the factory itself??

Also, $.40 more for diesel over regular seems a little high to me. Usually Reg. and diesel are at the most a $.20 difference around here.

14. 91ablaze

91ablaze Registered Member

Dave, I love diesels but if you do the math and if you’re planning on not keeping the vehicle past 150k miles then the gas is a cheaper solution.
    For example:

Gas vehicle getting 14mpg
    150,000/14=10,714 gallons
    gas @ 2.20/gallonX10,714=$23,571

Diesel vehicle getting 18pmg
    150,000/18=8,333 gallons
    diesel @ 2.00/gallonX8,333=$16,666+$8,000 (added cost for diesel option)=$24,666.

However, I say the price of diesel is the same for regular unleaded (at least in my part of the country). Thus the spread would be greater. If you’re driving habits place you in the 200K miles and over for the rig then you may save some in the long run with a diesel. In general, not everyone keeps a vehicle that long. As for towing, the diesel in the only way to go. This is only IMHO and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I say a lot of it depends on where you live to. If you are a mid western person and tow mainly over the flat open terrain a gas tow rig should be OK but if you plan on doing any trips through the mountains I wouldn't hesitate on buying the diesel for a second. My 89 burb with a 350 vortec motor pull wonderful on the flat open roads and gets 12-14 while towing the trailer with K5 and motorcycle on it. I've only tried going across the Appalachians in W. Va & Pa and was slowed to 35mph (hauling my j**p cherokee = 2000Lbs less). There were diesel pickups hauler 2 trucks o a trailer on they were FLYING up the hill past me.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the burb but as soon as the wife gets working again I think I will sell it and buy a new truck of the diesel flavor.

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Shop for the availability of diesel in your area....There is a .40 cent difference in the price of diesel between the truck stops and the average gas station. If the station you picked is the only player in town with the diesel, he is doing some price gouging.

Unfortunately, diesel has a .09 cent higher road tax than gas (in my state). Way to gouge the big rigs - primary users....

17. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

My truck usage will be varied but I do some towing as I do have 25' offshore fishing boat and a 35' travel trailer but most of my driving will be in town, back and forth 15 miles to/from work, general transpotation, etc.

I do travel monthly to a particular destination that is 376 miles and 7 hours away. When I get on the turnpike I want to be able to run comfortably with the rest of the traffic at 80mph+. I noticed that most of these 2500HD trucks come with a 4.10 gear ratio and I was concerned that may be too low gearing for any high speed traveling on the highway. Opinions??

It was mentioned the diesel truck doesn't like short trips. Is there a problem or disadvantage to using the diesel for short trips around town, back and forth to work, 7-11 store, etc. or was the statement more of a figure of speech?

It sounds like the Duramax or 6.0 gas would be a good all around truck, but the Duramax definitely has a horsepower and performance advantage. Do I have to have or need the higher horse power, probably not but it is nice to have under foot. Probably will come down to a personal decision whether to spend the extra $6000 or not.

Still thinking.

Dave
    davisalf@aol.com

18. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I take my d-max on short trips to work (5 miles) every day. The only complaint i have is now that it is below zero outside it takes a bit to warm it up in the mornings.

As for cost....d-max trucks hold their value very very well....mine is still blue booked at what i got it from the dealer for minus taxes with 10,000 miles on it.

Milage for me has dropped due to a heavy right foot...i now get 15 to 17 around town and around 20 to 21 on the hwy. I was getting 17 or better around town and 23 hwy until i put a chip in. its too hard to resist chirping tires into 3rd all the time :D

plus side of things......

1. Awesome power for towing and racing
    2. better fuel economy
    3. holds value better

Negitives...
    1. inital cost
    2. going thru rear tires like underwear
    3. deisel fuel is more expensive right now...but that may chages like it was a short time ago

19. rjfguitar

Most of them have 3.73's when equipped with the duramax IIRC. 80mph+ will kill your mileage and is too fast anyway IMHO. The engine should be driven far enough to where it warms up completely and operates at full temp. for a few minutes. My cummins takes a long time to warm up, but usually in the 10-15 minutes it takes me to get to the average destination, the engine is at temp. just in time.

20. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Comment about Diesels not liking short trips was more aimed at fuel milage. Diesels just seem to like to get out on the highway and work for a long period of time. I know that it's not good to jump in them and run around on short trips for the whole life of the vehicle but we all drive long enough distances from time to time to get the motor hot enough to evaporate any internal condensation.

I towed my buggy down to Moab this weekend to play for a day and got 10.5 mpg going down there (somewhat down hill on average) and 9.5 mpg coming back (uphill). Both trips were with the Cruise set at 80 and never let off. Buggy and trailer weigh about 6500lbs. I have towed this same trip before in my Ford with a 460 in it and have managed 70 to 75 through most of the trip all the while getting a whoping 8 to maybe 9, every hill I got slowed down to 60 or so. The Duramax only got pulled down to 76 for a brief period of time and never shifted out of overdrive. I could have slowed down 5 or more mph and probably got 1 or maybe even 2 mpgs better. Unfortunatly the circumstances didn't allow for taking any more time getting there or back than needed. This trip justified the $6,000 for the Diesel for me. (I was in shock at how well the truck handled everything, bumps, wind, trailer handling, and high speed towing)

The only way to justify a Diesel is in your own head. I just don't belive that the numbers prove it to be a good deal or a bad deal.