Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED FI EXPERTS! FI'ing the 454 ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 29, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

NEED FI EXPERTS! FI\'ing the 454 ASAP

I've tried to pass the IL emissions on this QJet, and its not happening. For this reason, I need to go FI ASAP. I would like anyone with knowledge relating to coverting from a QJet to FI to help me out here. I need all the info to swap. I need every bit of advice I can get. Oh yea, and I need to use as little $ as possible, since I told the wife no more spending this year... so any parts I can acquire at the yard, let me know.

So far, I've heard I can get the harness off ANY V8 Chevy truck, and use that. I will also need all the sensors obviously. Then I need some adapter, to get the two barrel TBI mounted to my squarebore intake (an Edelbrock Air-Gap intake). From there, I need to get a TBI (from what vehicle I don't know really) and then put the "correct" injectors into it (dont know what the "correct" ones are either). Then I need the correct ECM to get the job done (???) and somehow I'm supposed to get all this wonderful nonsense to work together.

HELP! I need all the info I can get my hands on and QUICK. I've got 35 days to pass emissions, so this is top priority for me... because if I don't comply, they take my license. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And I don't want that! So... lets have it!

Thanks all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: NEED FI EXPERTS! FI\'ing the 454 ASAP

Ok... got the Painless Harness PN 60201 (which is AutoZone PN 196699) and the price is $309.99! Sweet Jesus! That isn't very cheap! Looks like I'll be yard diving for that one! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Can I take it off ANY FI V8 Chevy truck?

-Dan

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You've got mail! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Propane is cheaper to do
    and if it is available in your area a better option IMO

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

License it in IA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You will need a chip from a BB and change the injectors if you can't find a BB set up. That would be a good time to go aftermarket chip.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

just a think'n here (stand back) could you buy a cheap carb that will allow you to pass and then put the q-jet back on after the test?

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have done this conversion before. Its not hard but you need to have, and read, and understand the wiring schematics for your truck and the donor truck, in my opinion.

Find ONE donor truck with a complete system that you can salvage - you can go back to it if you miss something, etc.

Off the top of my head:

For the interfaces from the truck to the new system you need to:
    transfer the distributer power wire to the TBI distributer,
    power 2 inputs to the computer,
    wire in a park/neutral switch into the computer,
    wire in a brake switch into the computer,(lock up torque convertor)
    get a VSS signal into the computer,
    wire in an ALDL connector for diagnostics (they get cut off most of the time when the harness is removed),

For the computer/engine harness you will need:
    the O2 sensor installed,
    knock sensor installed
    all sensors on the intake manifold (TPS, ESC, MAP, etc)
    oil pressure sensor
    water temperature sensor

Also you are aware of the fuel pump and return line. You also need to adapt the TBI "carb" and sensors onto your intake manifold OR you need to modify the TBI manifold for the 4 center bolts to mate to your heads.