Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need for a cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I will run 35"s on 4.56 gears. Do I need a tranny cooler to go with that?

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A tranny cooler is never a bad thing. Heat is what kills all tranny's. How long do you want yours to last? I personnaly feel on a stock vehicle with stock size tires that a Cooler should be on top of the list of upgrades.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I just had my 700R4 rebuild.

Are coolers expensive?

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

YEs. Get a cooler. Do not get a cheapo. Get the best and get the biggest. I have a B & M
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The B$M is a excelent product. Hayden makes a simular unit as the Stack plate cooler sold here in the chain parts stores. The Hayden Kit that comes set up for GM with hoses and adaptor runs about $60us. I also have a temp gage and put it on a couple weeks before the cooler...BIG drop in temp. They say the magic number where damage is happening is 200f. I was poping over that number reguarly. After hooking up the cooler I never exceed 180f with the hardest wheeling

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, I got a question about fin/tube vs. stacked plate coolers. I've seen somewhere that fin/tube is better. What do you guys think?

Also, I picked up what is supposed to be a "factory" cooler for chump change. It is aluminum (anodized I guess) fin/tube at about 10” x 8” with 8 runs (I think) and rubber hose/clamp fittings. It has no mounting brackets so I assume it uses the pass through locks. Now, number one, is this what the "factory" used? I sort of doubt it but I don't know if I've ever seen a Chevy factory original. Number two, I personally do not like the rubber line/clamp connectors under that much pressure (leaks and blown lines!). I would expect the factory to use hard lines/nuts.

I think I'm going to go back to the bone yard and pick up another factory oil cooler to adapt to the tranny side as well (yes, I know the line sizes are different but that is easily fixed with acetylene and solder). Or, last time I was there I also saw a 10" x 6" stacked plate cooler using hard lines/nuts that I passed on (like I said, I heard they were no good but that is what B&M uses so...) so I might get that if they are good. I may use the tube/fin I’ve got for the return line on the power steering pump…

So, what say you?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I paid about $125 for a factory GM trans cooler with brackets for our trucks. No, they do not use the pass through style mounting. They mount similarly to the engine oil coolers. I wouldn't use the plastic "fast clips" or whatever that hold the tranny cooler to the radiator, although I know most everyone does. But first off, the closer it gets to the radiator, the more heat they will share, not dissipate into the air. Second, that puts stress on the cooling tubes of the radiator, and can abrade through them. Not likely, but it is possible. Its almost as easy to go buy that plumbers strapping stuff (thin metal in a roll with holes every 1/4" or so) and mount them with that.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

You could also go with a bigger trans pan. I picked up a tci aluminum pan with cooling fins and a drain plug for like 120.00 bucks. It will hold 2 more quarts than a stock. And i plan on getting a tranny cooler. Later LittleJimmy.

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I agree with Grim...every auto tranny should have a cooler on it. I think they shoulda come from the factory, but then GM wouldn't make as much selling trannies now would they. Another thing that most people do is they slam their truck into park while it's still moving, or on a hill. Put your emergancy brake on then put into park. Your brakes are better equiped to hold your truck in place. Even if I'm on level ground I put the brake on. I know that the tranny and the brake are going to have to fail at the same time before going out and being surprised that the truck rolled away.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I removed my radiator recently to have some leaks welded. I noticed that it has two lines connected that go to the tranny. Do all K5s have this? Does this mean I don't need a separate cooler? It's a TH350, by the way.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. BadDog

No, that is the normal factory cooling for the trans. External cooler is in addition to the built-in radiator cooling.

Any takers on my question about stacked plates vs. fin/tube???

Bad Dog

13. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    According to the box that mine came in the plate style is the best. Of course you can guess which type it was[​IMG]

I thought this post was kinda funny, because the guy asked if he needs a tranny cooler, and then in the next post says "because my tranny was just rebuilt" well theres your answer[​IMG]
    If you had a tranny cooler to begin with, your tranny may not have needed to be rebuilt[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And I totaly agree, every vehicle on the road with an automatic should have a external tranny cooler!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

14. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    The most recent one I bought was for my S15 Jimmy
    I got it at Checker for around $50, it is a "Maxi-Kool XL" by "Imperial" part number 243007. Its dimensions are 7.25" X 11" X 3/4" and removes 13,500 BTU's. (this was as big as would fit in the small space, but they had bigger ones)

It is the "Plate" type cooler (72 plates) and supposed to be 33% more efficient than the "tube and fin" type. Also it is "OEM" approved by GM,Ford,Chrysler!
    It fit real well, there is no way I could have put any bigger in, I mounted it with the metal brackets that came with it, (I don't like the zip tie thingys) I was very pleased with the kit, it came with everything you could need!
    (Cooler, Brackets, zip ties, Clamps, Hose, Nuts/bolts/lockwashers, and several different sized couplings for the tranny lines and radiator).

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

15. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The design of the plate type cooler allows more airflow over metal that passes fluid. As a result the plate type cools much more efficiently than the old tube and fin style. I use the plate type for my engine oil and power steering. I have the NV4500 so no cooler used there. My tow vehicle hauls 8,000+ of trailer and 1 - 2,000 Lbs of gear through the CO passes using a plate type cooler. So far no problems with the trans. If you can't afford the plate type get the largest tube and fin cooler that will fit your vehicle. Something is better than nothing and your not likely to tow that much. Your biggest problem would be slow rock crawling at high altitude and temperatures. The tube and fin should handle this if you have a good fan to keep air moving through the cooler. My $0.02 worth.

16. BadDog

Just got back from the "u-pull-it". I found what appears to be a brand new (still shiny black) plate cooler measuring 11x11x1.5. Brand name appears to be "LONG" and is made in Canada. Looks to be pretty good quality and cost me $12.50. I'll use the fin/tube for my power steering (also looks new for $5) and I've got a factory oil cooler so I should be good to go if I can just find/make room to mount them all [​IMG].

Bad Dog

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you clean the hell out of any cooler you get from the junkyard. It would really suck to get a cooler to save your tranny and have it cause tranny death due to contamination...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!