Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need fuel filler hose help!!!!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Aug 17, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

After finding several fuel leaks in various connections/place to/from my tank, I decided to drop it and take care of them.
    Well the %^&*@# tank won't come out w/o bending one or more connection ports (it is not a stock tank). I was able to get it tilted enough to remove the fuel sending unit, which looks nothing like the ones shown in LMC, etc. It is a fuel sending unit only, no fuel lines integrated at all. The cork gasket looked as if it was older than the car (72 Blazer CST).
    At any rate, the hpse that connected the metal fuel filler pipe to the tank was a NAPA 1-1/4" coolant hose! Unfortunately, the tank was mashed up against the floor underside, which rubbed thru this hose putting a nice sized hole in it. Ahhh, the gas aroma. Well, I went to NAPA to see if they had 1-1/4" GAS hose. They don't make anything smaller than 1-1/2". WTF? A quick search on the internet and I don't see any 1-1/4". Two questions, (1) what is the stock size (for reference) and (2) where can I get 1-1/4" ID gas hose? Damn, damn, damn!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only place I know of to get the correct size is through LMC and most likely through some of the other restoration places.

I just got a foot of 1.5" hose from NAPA (for about $12/ft). It sinched down and sealed alot better than the factory piece that was as stiff as a piece of PVC pipe!

3. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I measured the fill line that comes down from the side wall. It is actually 1-3/8" in diameter and the pipe on the tank is 1-1/4" OD. How did I get this freakin' mess? Where's that post about idiot previous owners...... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have the stock stuff on my 72 and it takes about 3 days to fill the tank. The fuel wants to spit back out at me.... I hate that.

John

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i got mine at NAPA.

ARQ.

6. 1972jimmy

1972jimmy Registered Member

I am currently going through the same &^%$, can't find 1.25"ID hose anywhere and 1.5"ID leaks (of course). Am going to try to make a sleeve out of the old 1.25 at the tank and filler joints then install the 1.5" over the sleeves. This will probably require grinding down the OD of the 1.25s but it should work. It's my daily driver and don't have time for mail order stuff.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have had zero problems with leaks with the 1.5" hose. I replaced both the piece in the cab (not on all k5's) as well as the one under the truck. It works alot better than the piece that was as hard as PVC pipe!