Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need fuel HELP! W/ 6.5l

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ironnut, Jan 10, 2005.

1. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

So I decided to change my fuel filter today. Thought it might be a little clogged because when I accelerate onto the freeway it will miss/stumble for a quick second occasionally. It's a 5 speed manual and it only occurs in 4th/5th under acceleration, and a little load. So i changed filter, then tryed to prime the system, but i could never get any fuel to come through the air bleed cap on top of the filter. Tried cranking it 7-8 times w/ 2 minutes rest between but nothing. Took the filter out to try all over again, and noticed a good amount of sediment in the filter housing. So I called the chevy dealer asking for some advice. Couldn't really help me out, just told me that if I need a new PMD or pump they will only replace it under warranty if the fuel filter is clean and the fuel system flushed. Which cost 450$. But could save me $2000. This seems strange becasue the truck ran great except for an occasional stumble. Maybe i should have left the filter alone. Either way looks like in gonna be spending some bucks, anyone got advice as to what I should do? Now the trucks just sitting outside, and I need the dang thing running! It's a 98 6.5L 5 speed w/ 116,000 miles. Any the original engine was replaced at 60,000 miles.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From Casey's fuel pump post:

Did you disconnect the power wire to the injection pump before cranking it? If not, it is now airlocked.

To fix an airlock situation leave the power wire attached to the IP, and loosen all the injector lines at the injectors. Even if you only get 6 or 7 of them that should do. Now crank for 15-20 seconds while a helper watches (or have the helper crank the motor while you watch) As soon as a line begins to drip fuel tighten it up, until all the lines you loosened are tight again..

Rene

3. ironnut

I didn't undo the Injection pump connection because first off i didn't know what it was and second because in the factory GM manual it doesn't say to do that. I'm just debating now where i want to try to fix it myself or just spend the money to have it done.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Sounds very similar to how my IP in my 97 failed last year. The occasional stumble followed by failure. Check with different dealers regarding the policy to warranty the IP and PMD. The dealer I took my truck to wanted to do the fuel system procedure, but I found another that didn't need to. BTW, when I change the fuel filter in my truck, I never need to bleed air out (lift pump pushes it through). Just a little cranking and it will fire up. Same when I run out out of fuel, fill the tank, and crank over for a bit. Good luck!

5. ironnut

Well it turned out my lifter pump which is down along the frame had failed which is why I couldn't prime the engine, and it also solved the freeway stumble! :grin:
    Runs great again.​
    Thsnks for the posts​

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I just saw this post and thought I would comment.

My tips given above for changing the fuel filters won't apply to the newer trucks, especially his '98. The newer trucks use a completely different kind of fuel filter, and I don't believe that there is a fuel cut-off switch wire on the DS4 pumps, at least not one that I can recall. Plus, the newer trucks have an electric lift pump mounted on the frame rail instead of a mechanical pump bolted to the engine. As Ironnut found out, this was his problem.

The EFI 6.5L are known to have problems with the fuel pump and with the oil pressure switch which energizes the fuel pump. Either one are prone to fail, causing these kinds of symptoms.

Casey

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Casey, good to have that cleared up in this post for future reference.

Rene