Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Fuel Tank Info.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Feb 1, 2001.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

This isn't really K5 related but figured those of you who have experience with gas tanks may be able to enlighten me. I have a 1968 Chevy C50 that has the gas tank behind the bench seat in the cab. There is a strong odor of gas inside the cab all of the time. I have checked all of the lines and what I can see of the tank but have found no leaks. The smell is there even after the truck hasn't been used for weeks, and there is no odor under the hood. I have been thinking that I don't feel to confortable with the tank behind the seat anyways, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there would be any problems with ripping the one behind the seat out and putting one of them tanks below the door that also serves as a step up into the truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Is the gas cap seal working? Are the any of the lines cracked? I think you could retrofit some step tanks from a larger truck. You would have to use a different pump in conjuction with a distribution block or a tank selector. Hope any of this helps.

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

fr8train,
    Thanks for the info. The gas cap and filler neck appear ok. Replaced all rubber fuel lines and the metal ones seem to be leak free. You said to use a different pump in conjunction with a distribution block or tank selector. By different pump are you referring to a fuel pump. I should have stated that this 68 C50 is an old dump truck which I believe would have been the medium duty truck back then. If I replace the tank behind the seat I will install only one step style tank to replace it, and completely remove the one behind the seat. I am hoping that the step tank will have a sending unit that allows me to use the present gas gauge, and require a minimum effort as far as performing the swap. I am probably going to go through a lot of trouble over nothing, but the thought of going down the road with the smell of gas coming from behind the seat gives me the willies........thanks

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Yeah fuel pump sorry for the obscurity. I was thinking one that would be easier to acces than the in tank ones. I have one on my K5 and am fed up with messing with it. Though the saddle bag style would probably be easier to access I would still go with one in the engine bay. It could be annoying to prime but, then again, I would rather deal with it then the in tank deal at this point. Option two would be to get a custom unit built for the rear of your truck with a GM sending unit retrofitted. I am thinking that it could look like two big gerry cans welded together. One side for filling the other for the sending unit. You can put an angled guard over the sending unit acces to protect against rain and damage from foriegn objects. If you mounted it with the opening downward for a gravity feed type with the fuel pump inline or something. If you use the FI type sending unit and pump then get a pressure regulator to cut it back to the right fuel pressure. I am assumng that you are running a carb or something similar given the year of your truck.

5. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the info fr8train. The old beast has what I believe is an old 1 bbl carb. I am surprised this thing didn't come with a hand crank for starting it. I am interested in your suggestion about having a tank custom built, and thinking this may be the way to go. I have a friend who works part-time for his brother in-law making stainless steel containers for the food industry and will see if he can help....thanks.