Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need gear pattern confidence (is it supposed to look like that?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, Apr 16, 2005.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I've just about finished my first ring and pinion set up. Spec's are: new 5.13 gears, new ARB, new bearings in a GM front dana 60. Pinion preload set to 24 in/lbs (middle of set up specs), backlash set to .008 (middle of set up specs), carrier preload set to about 7 in/lbs (middle of specs I could find). My question is that looking at the gear pattern, it seems the contact is too far towards the face to me, that is should be a bit deeper. What do you guys think? Should I tighten up the backlash a couple of thousands or call it good and bolt it together? Also, my carrier preload increased significantly when I tightened the bearing caps. Not torqued yet, just snug. That seems to make sense, but I thought I'd ask if it was normal. Here are the picks (assuming I can figure out how to post them). Thanks! Rich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i like that , looks good to me, kind of how my 8 3/4 in the roadrunner came out

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wow, first time doing gears and you did an ARB? Congrats man, those are a bitch. I agree with you, it could be a little deeper, but it looks pretty good, id run it there. I wouldnt change the backlash, you want it between .008-.010.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Thats perfect, ive seen much worse from GM stock, I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm headed out to remove the set up bearings I made and press on the new ones now, then bolt it all together. 14ff and detroit locker next!

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Check the pattern after you put the new bearings on just to be sure everything is still kosher. You have the carrier bearings preloaded fine too right?

7. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Well, just to make things interesting, I gained a couple of thousands of backlash with the new bearings pressed on. Not sure if it was tolarance in bearing size or the fact that they were now pressed on instead of just hand fitted or both. Luckily, I had set my carrier bearing preload on the tight side, so I was able to remove a few thousands on the air seal side of the carrier and get backlash back to .009-.010 and still be in spec for carrier preload. Gear pattern looks identical to the pics posted above. Cap bolts are lock tited and torqued. Tomorrow I get to install the air line and see if the whole thing works! Thanks again to every one for their help. If anyone is wondering if they can do this, the answer is yes. The most important specialty tool you're going to need is patience. Don't expect to do it in a day or even a weekend the first time. It took me about 3 days of working on and off to get to this point, that's not including tear down time, and I have the axle out of the truck. Rich