Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Gears and advise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airbornesoldier327, Jun 7, 2005.

1. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

Well im about to rebiuld my front differential as soon as i get some insite on how i should go about doing it, im running stock gears right now but plan to run 36" irok tires so i know i need to run some different gears. I was thinking that 4:10 would be alright, i mean this is stickly a mud truck, dont really need alot of torque, but i know i cnat run those 36"s im having trouble with the 3:03 gears that are in it now. well i need a set of 4:10 gears front and rear for a corp 12 bolt and a dana 44 front, also i have read in a couple of other places that i might need a installation kit to install new gears... is this right? alright i apreciate the help guys.

2. Wes Harden

Wes Harden Registered Member

yup and then some

You'll prob need new carriers for both axles if your gearing now is 3.03 not sure
    , any body will correct me if wrong, but you need carrier that will 3.7 and up numericly. might be cheaper to find a 14bff and d44 out of 3/4 ton w/ 4.10 gears allready. beside that 14bff is tuff.
    Wes

3. airbornesoldier327

well to tell you the truth, i dont really have anywhere to work on it and its stickly a mudd truck, so as much as i would love to upgrade the axles and bigger lift and stuff like that, i cant really justify it, i would like to find the parts that i need to do it and take it somewhere and hand him all the parts and tell him what i need done, so at least i can save some on the parts... but other than that, i bought it for 2,500 and i have already put about 3,000-4,000 in it and i still need to get bigger tires, lol... supposed to be saving money while im over here in iraq, but i just cant help myself when i buy stuff for the blazer you know. But if you could tell me where to find the stuff that i need and what exactly i would need that would be great. well i apreciate it.

4. airbornesoldier327

how much do 14bff's run and what all do you have to do to change them out?

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

depends on your area.. around here anything over $50 is OVERKILL

hell I even have one under my 8' pickup bed trailer...

6. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I'm running 35"s w/4:11. I would go 4:88 next time around because I have a 700R4 OD trans. Remember, big 1 ton axles sink really good in mud. If your worried about the strength, I wouldnt go bigger than 3/4 ton gear.

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I run 38 inch tires on 4.88 gears, w/ OD tranny. Next time I WILL go 5.13. No reason not to if you have OD. My .02 cents. Good luck.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree... my non od tranny screams my engine at 3000rpm's doin 74mph :doah:
    that is with 4.56's... could you imagine if I would have went 5.13's like people kept telling me to go with!!!!!

9. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I think its kinda funny that alot of people bash the OD trannies. I have Bowtie 700R4 Stage 3, so strength is not a huge concern, though I admit a TH350 or 400 is probably more stout. I just like being able to cruise down the highway, and I do that just fine with 4.88 Next time it will be 5.13s, and then I think I'll be at about perfect. Trial and error I guess...

10. airbornesoldier327

So is a 14bff a 1 ton axle or a 3/4 ton? And if it is a 1 ton, why is the dana 60 so much more expensive?

11. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

The 3/4 ton is a semi-floater with a smaller ring gear (9 1/2" I think. Please correct me if wrong). The housing is smaller and lighter then the full-floater (1 ton, 10 1/2" ring gear).

You won't gain any real strength with a 3/4 ton front axle. The Dana 60 is the only option I know of.

12. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Why?? Because 60's are harder to find and in demand, so............. They go for what people will pay. Keep in mind this is a 1 ton FRONT end.

Sucks for me, I don't enjoy swapin axles in a feild or on a trail.

:D If somebody wants to donate a 60 it won't hurt my feelings ;) :D.