Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need glass install tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jul 4, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

installation instruction needed for pwr windows and also rear slider on truck.thanks!off to the fireworks!!!yeah /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

c'mon,guys!someone has got to know this.or should i take it to a glass shop?anyone?hello! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Rear slider, easy. Lay slider down. Put gasket around it. Use 1/4" nylon rope, hook tool, and glass cleaner as lubricant. A second person on the outside holding the glass and slightly pushing will help. Once you get good, you can do it yourself in 5min, or less. (Note: If your gasket has chrome or rubber "interlock", toss it and get a new gasket without. They look ugly and don't install as easy.)

What specifically is your "power window" dilemma?

4. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What specifically is your "power window" dilemma?

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the reply.i got a pair of rust-free doors from the junckyard but the drivers side pwr window has been shattered(side-impact,i'm assuming)so i need to swap in the good glass from my truck.does the vent window have to come out?2)what's the bolt in the door jam for?3)how does the slider come out(it's not broken but rattles badly.very annoying)?more appropriately:glass removal/install.tips.thanks.

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does the vent window have to come out?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not totally, but I do loosen it up really well.

[ QUOTE ]
    what's the bolt in the door jam for?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Guessing it's holding the track on that side. I would loosen it, but not remove it.

[ QUOTE ]
    how does the slider come out?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Push gently from the inside at the top corner and slowly work it out. If your gasket has an "interlock" on the outside, pull it out first before pushing out the slider.

Odds are, the doorglass from your rig is glued into its track. Which means you'll have to re-use the track or complete regulator. The odds of breakage are very high if you try to remove it from the glue. If it's not glued, use a razor to cut the rubber holding it in.

If there is shattered glass glued into the track of the new door, use a drill and drill bit (the width of the track) and drill it out. Wear eye protection! You will need to glue the new window into the track with windshield urethane. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif