Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need good head!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Apr 29, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Ok, get your minds out of the gutter... Rebuilding the engine in my '90 K5, has the K-code L05 350. Need to get new (rebuilt) heads for it (current ones are bad ie: ones cracked).

What are acceptable heads to use on it that aren't going to cause problems. I don't mind using an aftermarket intake (actually it's the plan!) but don't want heads that will drop the compression. Non-vortec (or non-swirl port which this one has) are fine, especially since an intake would be cheaper but don't want to drop compression or lose performance.

Any ideas or specific heads? Keep in mind I don't have the money for aftermarket style heads etc... Just looking for basic rebuilt heads.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Vortecs all the way. the runners offer an improved swirl over the stock heads, and the combustion chamber has a more efficient shape. GM sells the intake you'll need.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

go to autozone and tell them you have a 1991 corvette. One head is 170 + core charge. The head comes fully assmbled and it is a aluminum head with 58 cc chambers. Then just take your cast head back a week later and they will never know and you will get your core charge back

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

complete conversion to L31 Vortec heads is going to cost about $1000 with the GMPP vortec/tbi manifold which costs $300. you gotta get heads, intake, 12 pt. intake bolts, egr adapter, egr adapter fitting, and egr hose (if youve got headers.... if you run stock manifolds, you gotta get a passenger side vortec manifold w/ egr fitting)

World Torquer S/R heads are great. i believe they are about $750 for the pair, but your intake will bolt right up to them, and they dont require the crap vortecs do.

i wouldn't use the aluminum L98 vette heads...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    World Torquer S/R heads are great. i believe they are about $750 for the pair, but your intake will bolt right up to them, and they dont require the crap vortecs do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this man's advice.

6. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

what if you dont have EGR jsut need the heads and intake right? well bolts of course and gaskets....

for a carb setup ona 350

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get a set of iron L 98s. GMPP still makes them. They will bolt right up and come in the center bolt style. They flow way better than the stock TBI heads. 64cc chambers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    New they cost around 600. But you may be able to find a rebuilt set from a head shop for less.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    go to autozone and tell them you have a 1991 corvette. One head is 170 + core charge. The head comes fully assmbled and it is a aluminum head with 58 cc chambers. Then just take your cast head back a week later and they will never know and you will get your core charge back

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you happen to know what casting number these heads are?

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what if you dont have EGR jsut need the heads and intake right? well bolts of course and gaskets....

for a carb setup ona 350

[/ QUOTE ]

you will have EGR after you put the vortec heads and intake on...... however, the carb/vortec intake costs ALOT less tha the tbi/vortec intake. it is possible to put a egr block off plate on the intake i guess....

10. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you happen to know what casting number these heads are?

[/ QUOTE ]

those are the aluminum L98 heads, but, i have never seen them at that price..... the iron heads cost $600..... the aluminum version definately costs substantially more. plus, i dont know if i'd be comfortable buying a reman head..... ya never know when they could have a crack that was overlooked.

11. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a set of iron L 98s. GMPP still makes them. They will bolt right up and come in the center bolt style. They flow way better than the stock TBI heads. 64cc chambers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    New they cost around 600. But you may be able to find a rebuilt set from a head shop for less.

[/ QUOTE ]

your right...... but, for the money..... they don't make that much more flow, definately not $600 worth..... and they were designed for cars.... not trucks.... you may loose some low-end...... spend $150 more and get the torquer s/r heads..... they are a great truck head, and boost yer low end and high end.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You are not going to lose low end with any factory heads. Hell, the biggest factory heads have 180cc intake ports so so. Even the smallest aftermarket heads are in that range.

Every GM head reguardless of application is going to be designed for low end torque. That is what moves a car down the road during normal road use, and that is what gets a rig through the warranty period. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HA.HA..HA...HA, Thats Funny! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

All of the AutoZones, in my town, have one guy that knows what he is doing baby-sitting a bunch of morons that could not find there a$$ with both hands. Every time I go to Autozone for an auto part, I have to go to autozone.com online catalog first, to look up my own part numbers. If I do not look up my own part numbers, and I get one of the morons helping me, they will look at the computer with a blank stare for a few moments...then turn to me and say, "We don't carry that part" just to save face and make me go away.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would argue that you are ignoring a critical part of "better" heads. Flow is only half the equation, newer heads have a far superior combustion chamber, and increased efficiency means increased power, no matter how you slice it.

I guarantee you use two identical heads, except one with the fast-burn style chambers, fast-burn will outperform the old garbage handily.