Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Good Two Way Radio's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jc71355, Nov 7, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Need Good Two Way Radio\'s

We have Motorola Talkabouts but they won't reach between our deer stands. What is a good radio that has a little more range than what I have? How far can I go before I need a license and what is involved to get the liscense?

Thanks,
    James

2. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Re: Need Good Two Way Radio\'s

Depends on the terrain, and the radios you have. I worked for a armored truck company an carried money all over inside malls, the treasury with increadibly thick walls, and my radios only had a range of 2 miles an never had a problem. But there are some 5 mile radios now that really reach out. But as i said it depends on ur terrain. Hope this helped......it didnt do anyting for me...lol

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I've seen the 5 mile range one's but I didn't know how far "5 miles" really is. The one's we have now are 2 mile and the terrain is relatively flat, and we are not 2 miles from one another (checked it on GPS). How well do the "5 Mile" one's work?

4. jeepngm

jeepngm Registered Member

What most people don't know... and don't do... is the "5 mile" radios DO require an FCC license. And it's $75 for a 5 year license. Highway robbery giving it matches the cost of the radios, and considering a real Amateur radio license is $10 for 10 years.

Off that soap box... the problem with either of the 2 mile or 5 mile radios is that you will only get that in Kansas under ideal conditions, they are all "line of sight".

The woods is tough to conquer by radio. Ham radios will do better, and you can even get fancy and get a mobile radio to act as a repeater. The license test is not that difficult for the first level and you don't have to do morse code to talk on 2 meter (144-147mhz). There is a sample test at www.eham.net.

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Here's one for you that does not require any licenses and is only 99 bucks for a pair. They are listed to have a range of 5 miles also but they aren't the GMRS radios that many people are selling. They are radios for a new radio service that came about a couple of years ago. The new band is called MURS and has 5 channels with 10 times the allowed output power as FRS radios. MURS87 2-Way Radio at Comp USA

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and you can even get fancy and get a mobile radio to act as a repeater

[/ QUOTE ] Don't want to hijack the thread, but would you PM me or post how this is done?