Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need guidance on the feed and care of my GM diesel.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, I will be registering and picking up my new toy soon. Hopefully the k5 wont get too jelous. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, the point of the post is that I read through most everything on this forum, I have these items lined up right after I get it:

Oil Change (delvac? Delvac 1? Any recommendations?)
    Coolant Flush
    Top off with fresh diesel
    Change rear diff fluid (gear oil)
    Change 241 oil (ATF?)
    Change NV4500 fluid (Must I use that $$$ syntorque?)

Ok, filters- Other than the oil/air filter, where are the fuel filter located? I recall seeing on another 6.2 that the there was a fuel/water seperator, but I dont recall seeing it on this truck. Was that an option?

Lastly, I will check all the joints, grease them up and I think i'd be done.

Is there gear oil for the front diff in an IFS? this whole IFS stuff is new too!

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif (sorta) Where my extended CAB?!
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Oil: I use Walmart's finest /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif SAE 40 diesel grade in th 5-gallon bucket.

Coolant flush: Can't hurt.

Fuel: Low-sulphur fuel *needs* a fuel additive to get any life out of the injection pump.Dunno what type of fuel is available to you.

[ QUOTE ]
    Change rear diff

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Must have the 14bFF. Gear oil will do. I like 80w140 myself... Walmart of course /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

T-case: Yes, the NP241 uses ATF. Good idea to change it.

NV4500: I wouldn't want to mess this up. Get whatever they specify from the GM parts counter. (Which I believe is called Syntorque.)

I think the later trucks used a spin-on type fuel filter. Not sure where it sits. The Stanadyne Model 80 filter system on the older trucks had problems, so most people replace it with an aftermarket water separator type (i.e. Racor).

I don't recall if the IFS gear oil is a special type or not. Maybe ask when you're at the dealer for the NV4500 juice. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

its only a 14bSF. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good enough though, this truck aint gonna be wheeled. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This whole not being able to reach the pumpkin thing in the front in truly weird. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Still cant find the farkin water/fuel seperator- I just dont see it for some reason under the hood. Any ideas?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No idea on the water separator/filter...

Just to add a little on the NV4500, they have some new age junk on the synchro's, could be kevlar or something similar, which is why the special lube is required. It's not just some rip-off to get you to buy the dealer brand lube or anything.

Rene

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I know that the '92 model 6.5L TD has the fuel filter located in a large round canister in the valley of the engine right behind the intake manifold. It sits down low, so it's hard to see. I'm not sure if it's the same for a '92 6.2L, though.

Casey