Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need gun advice 3 .40 cal. to choose from LEO's Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Sep 13, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Need gun advice 3 .40 cal. to choose from LEO\'s Help

well i have brought it down to 3 choices The Sig, the Springfield, and the Glock thnakd for your help I would really like to hear from LEO's What would you trust your life with?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Re: Need gun advice 3 .40 cal. to choose from LEO\'s Help

I own three Glocks, one a .40 and will be purchasing another .40 (sub-compact) soon. Nuff said.......

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on i have always heard they are good guns, there is a range not to far from the base, i will go shoot all three before i make a final decision, but i wanted to hear from some people on here first. Plus i hear the guy will give military guys a discount, how much should i expect to pay for each one?

4. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Personally, I hate trigger safeties, so I would vote for the Sig...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Given the choices, Glock.

Should be getting a .45 though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya i really wanted a .45 but it is really expinsive to shoot, and i really want to put some rounds through the gun i get

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Sig.

Second choice would be the XD.

Last choice would be the glock.

If at all possible, shoot one or more of them or at least handle them.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

why last for the glock?

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'm not in LE yet, but I plan on joining the ATF after I graduate and my vote is for the Glock all the way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

uhhh.. where is the H&K USP?

I had a glock 40... traded it for a glock 9mm. The way the chamber is supported just didn't give me warm/fuzzys. Of those 3, I guess I'd go with the Sig... tho I'd take the H&K before any of em.

j

11. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i personaaly dont like glocks but thats me and i currently own a desert eagle .40 and love it id say sig but i like fancy fire arms i do agree try fireing them and see which one you like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok now its 4 guns [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Depends on the school of ballistics you subscribe to. The bigger is better no matter the speed theory. Or the transfer of kinetic energy faster is better theory. Personally, I have read several articles showing that ballistically, the .40 does very well vs. the .45. In fact, police shooting studies have shown that statistically speaking, the .357 magnum jacketed hollow point has been the best performing round so far. Far surpassing the .45. Guess what, the .40, absent the 10mm as an option, is the closest performing round to the ballistics/grain of the .357. Several studies have been done, outside the U.S. so as not to hyperventilate PETA, on sheep and other animals using a variety of rounds. The 9mm and the .45 usually perform dismally by comparison to the .357, 10mm, and .40. That'll get you die hard .45 fans riled up. But, you can't argue with statistics and they don't lie. In my opinion, there is a reason the .223 round is so much more devastating than a .45 round for anti-personnel. Bottom line is velocity. Small round at 3000 fps is going to transfer a lot more energy, aka destructive power, than a .45 round traveling at 800 fps, even though much bigger. Now, there are some specialty .45 rounds that get up and bark. I carry a brand called PowerMax ( http://www.aeagle1.com/framespage.html ) which is a 135 grain Nosler jacketed hollowpoint that pops out the barrel at 1400 fps. The company also makes a .45 round that really brings the performance of the .45 up to a respectable degree.

A friend of mine is a weapons expert and has been an advisor to the CIA, law enforcement, etc. for many years. His wife is a professional photographer. He put together a study a while back using ballistic gelatin that he compressed bones, spleens, livers, hearts, etc. from calves into for shooting at. He then used high speed photography to record various rounds shot into the ballistic gelatin. He compressed the gelatin and the internal parts into a block the approx. size of a man's upper torso complete with rib bones, bones approximating arm and leg bones, and the intestines. All rounds were fired from the same distance at the nearly identical blocks of gelatin/parts. He took slow motion photography showing how each round affected each part. When the dust settled, the 10mm outperformed all rounds for sheer destruction. The .357 and the .40 were neck and neck for #2. The .45 came in third, the 9mm fourth, and the .38 last. The differences were dramatic. In cases where a .45 round would penetrate the gelatin, expand, strike a bone, and stop, the bone would be broken or splintered and the gelatin reasonably expanded. Where the 10mm, .40 and .357 hit the same bone (different gelatin block set up the same way) a whole 3-4 inch section of the bone would be nearly blown into tiny fragments, almost dust, and the expansion would be considerably larger than the .45. The 9mm and .38 would simply punch a small hole in the bone and have average expansion. In the case of internal organs struck, same results. The higher speed rounds like the 10mm, .40, and .357 had devastating effects on the organs nearly obliterating them. The .45 much less so, and the other 2 moderate damage only. If I recall correctly, he used common law enforcement issue rounds such as the .45 230 grain hollowpoint, etc. Obviously there would be some variance depending on different grains, configurations, and manufacturers. After watching his study, and reading some other articles in Guns and Ammo, and other shooting mags, I was convinced the .40 was the all around way to go. Not to mention the shootings I have personally witnessed with 9mm and .357.

If you really want to do some serious study on the matter (as opposed to hearsay and conjecture) here is some reference: http://www.righthook.com/ballistics.html

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wow awsome dude thanks, anybody have a good idea on prices ?

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

16. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I have the XD 40 and LOVE IT!!! my G/F's dad has the SIG226 9mm...a great gun, but just not quite as nice as the XD ( I do plan to buy a 229 in 9mm soon tho) I'd say since the XD is cheaper and at least AS GOOD if not BETTER then the Glock and SIG I'd say get it! you wont be disapointed!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif