Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need gun advice!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 22, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I went to a shop yesterday and got offered this gun for $675:
    http://www.hallowellco.com/belgian_browning_grade_iv.htm

It's a Belgian Browning .308.

The guy is trying to get out of the gun business so he's selling stuff cheap, and he thinks that would make a great first gun. He says the gu is worth $1300, and it has an $800 scope on it.
    I basically haven't fired a rifle in a dozen years, since I was a kid at camp shooting .22's and Black powder rifles.

I've never purchased a rifle, so I don't wanna get raped on this one, even though I love it already... Any advice? anything I should check first on it? I don't have the cash, and the guys runs a Macintosh store that he wants to focus on also, so I'm thinking of offering him all my Macs in trade for the gun...

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id say yes it is wort $675 especially if you can trade your macs for it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Those scopes can get pricy fast. Sounds like a good deal to me.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The gun is definitley worth it and the scope is a bonus. It is a Leupold but it isnt worth $800, but nevertheless a great deal.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's a nice looking rifle. I've got a couple 308's, mine are converted German Mossers. I picked mine up for $160.00 each, but niether has that fancy etching or scopes. 308's tend to be pretty accrate guns in my opinion.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, thanks. If the guy is into the mac trade, then I'll do it tomorrow or tuesday.

BTW, that wasn't the actual gun, that was just a picture I managed to find on the web. The gun that's for sale is just about the same, thouhg, and very very new looking.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Are they older computers? I used to be the proud owner of a Commodore 128D with the separate keyboard and built in disk drive. I had a guy drive almost 300 miles to buy it from me. Weird what some people want.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not really, just 2 G3's. 1 is 300Mhz/128mb, the other is 350mhz/256mb. He had one identical to my aqua one in his store for $650 with a DVD-R drive, so I'm hoping he'd be willing to give me about $300 for each. I can get about $400-$500 on ebay last time I checed, but I don't want to go through that BS around now...

9. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I dont tthink the .308 is such a great first gun.

There are alot of guns that are alot more fun to shoot.

What will be your primary use for the rifle? I guarentee .308 isn't the best choice for plinking beer cans /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I'd like to add that I have a Browning alot like that in 7mm mag. They are a pleasure to shoot, but they get hot fast. I have alot more into mine than he's asking.

11. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

unless there is something special about that leupold its only worth about 400 (the scope) if it has a lit reticle its maybe worth 800. It looks like an older verixII.