Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need headliner board or ?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by amsantos, Jun 8, 2005.

1. amsantos

amsantos Registered Member

I purchased an 85 suburban that didn't come with a headliner (or a carpet for that matter which was recently replaced :D ). It's just bare metal. I know some individuals like the bare metal look, but I want to have something there other than bare metal. I've seen some sites that sell the two piece ABS plastic replacement headliner backing for around $350, uncovered. And I've also seen some sites that sell the headliner conversion kit for around $85 and up. This kit has the bowed rods that hold the headliner material up. Has anyone done this conversion? If so, how does it look? Has anyone purchased the ABS plastic backing? Are there any other suggestions instead of purchasing this expensive backing? Let me know your thought and suggestions. Thanks

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The original is just heavy cardboard. I took mine out and recovered it. I also put insulation between the headliner and the roof. cuts down on heat and noise. Simple and cheap.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to a junk yard or there has been a lot of burbs being parted out lately, grab one of those :dunno: :burb:

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I want to do mine in shaggy fake fur.

5. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

it dont work out as well as you think, it gets real nasty after a year or so esp if you smoke..
    i knew a guy that was in a textiles program in college and he silk-screened a shot of anna nicole from her first spread in playboy, it covered the entire ceiling on a crappy old van

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if i were you i would do one my self.

go and but a few sheats of 1.8th masonite from depot or where ever, it flexs good and is strong, cut it longer then the width of the headliner and push it in so it bows up, stick something forinsulation up there, and maybe use tech screws to fasen it ot the metel (braces not roof lol)

you will have to cut the front to curf to the wind sheld, and the back too. you would need 3 4x8 sheats,

since you need it wider then 4 feet you will have to cut the leangh down, and the 3ed sheat will only be about2 1/2 feet long but it could work, lots of measureing and testing but could look good, and the sheats are cheap few bucks a pop

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Go to the junkyard. I bought both front an rear clapboard pieces and the two or three bows I needed for about $15. I picked out the crappiest ckapboard pieces so they would be the cheapest. I had a local auto upholstry shop recover them for $25 each. I put automotive insulation on the roof panels, and installed the headliners. The insulation quieted down the interior alot. Especially when I sleep in the truck when it rains!

8. cbbr

I used foam insulation from lowes - cut it to fit and just put it up there. I also recovered my own - easy to do, just get material and spray glue. Lots of threads with detailed instructions. Ditch the shag and go with something more conventional -

[​IMG]

9. crash81

crash81 1/2 ton status

cbbr is that shelf home made or did you buy it somewhere? i have a 90 1/2 ton suburban with the center console like in your picture and i would like to add a shelf like that.

Dudley

10. cbbr

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

there is onne in the for sale section right now

12. kram

kram Registered Member

what glue?

i cleaned the cardboard.bought two cans of 3m super trim adhesive 35.00.
    5 yards of cloth 25.00 and 1/2 foam 46.00.
    took 1 can to glue the foam down (i thought they said one can should do a
    blazer?) sprayed the foam then the cloth nd the yellow glue soaked through!!!
    how should i do this the glue showes through even the dark areas?
    the fabric is thick like canvas???
    any ideas. thanks

13. cbbr

The 3M that I got came from the fabric store. I didn't even use a whole can. Sounds like you are using too much and it is causing you problems. Spray both the fabric and the headliner lightly, let them dry for a minute and put them toghether. It didn't take much and it has done great for over a year in the La. heat and humidity.

14. kram

kram Registered Member

glue

thanks for the help.
    i ran to the home depot.i found 3m 80 general adhesive is clear.
    had to try them all out first (shhh).it says spray the foam only.
    worth a try.i'll let you know.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Shaggy PINK fur? :D

16. amsantos

I purchased both pieces of the headliner and all the plastic interior trim and metal braces from a junk yard for $40. I spray glued new material on the headliner and it looks great. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Al

17. cbbr

Did it quiet down some of the road noise? Mine made a huge difference. :waytogo:

18. amsantos

Nice and quiet!

It sure made a difference in my Suburban too. I purchased my Sub without anything inside except the seats and door panels. I have since then, installed a full carpet kit with sound/heat insulation on the front area. New lower door panels on all. Installed all the interior plastic trim and recovered the headliner with new material. It has made a big difference in quieting down the road noise. Much quieter on the highway and off road.