Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help/14bff brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stan2d2, Mar 8, 2002.

1. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

I was wondering what is involved in doing the rear brakes on a 14bff?? I made the swap last month. I went to bleed the brakes and the bleeder screw stripped and will not go back in or come out. I picked up new wheel cylinders and I figured if I'm going to rip this apart I might as well put on some new brake shoes, hardware,ect... I was just wondering if someone could give me some insight as to what I'm in for. a thank you in advance for any help.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Do a search, this has been explained several times in the last few weeks.

3. stan2d2

I did a search, but I was looking for some personal feedback. Like, things to look out for and complexity of the job itself. I never took one these apart.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you have done brakes on a 1/2 ton axle it is pretty much the same.
    Except that the FF axle has an internal drum hub assy.
    The socket for the hub removeal is KD #2770, I got mine at NAPA for $30.
    Other than that the brakes and hardware is pretty much the same as a 1/2 ton one.
    All in all it is a pretty easy job.

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Went thru mine 110% when i swapped in the 14. (new drum was a tad pricey!!) new hold downs/springs/cyl/shoes! Whole 9 yards. Once the hub is outta the way, its just like most any other rear drum brakes. Mine was quite an improvement going to 13" from the 11" on the 10 bolt.

Collecting parts for the disk conversion now. I pull a trailer and just want as much brake as i can get!

6. stan2d2

Thank you for your input. I got that part# and will going to pick one up. It sounds like it will be the same as the front bearing setup basically. Thanks again.

7. stan2d2

Thanks for your input. If you don't mind me asking, how much were the drums? I take it they are a dealer item. I called the local A&A(parts store) for prices on parts they told me that they did not have a listing for that part. I didn't have a chance to call the dealer yet. Thanks again.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Once you pull the axle and the drum/hub it is just like any other drum system. Just remember to lay everything out the way it came off so it is easier to put back togeather. Also just do 1 side at a time just in case you need to check something you can look at the other side.

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

If my (feeble) memory serves me right, it was $130 for one! My other side was turnable.
    No, not from dealer. This was from our United Auto Parts (not a big chain, but their affiliated with Federated/Federal Auto Parts i think).
    As many folks as do the disc conversion, maybe someone has a set off already (hopefully nearby?) that they'd sell you their drum brake stuff. Those drums weigh a TON!!!