Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help! 2 problems possibly related?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rocky91, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Background - '91 TBI 350, rebuilt the top half a month ago. I set the timing at 1* BTDC, replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, intake filter, coolant temp sending unit, and the O2 sensor.

Problem #1 - Irratic idle with or without a load. Thought it was vacuum related but I checked all the hoses and couldn't find a leak. Also I can hear irregular puffs of air coming from the exhuast, almost like very weak pops but you have to have your ear next to the exhaust outlet to hear.

Problem #2 - Engine runs very rich. Causes the truck to flood while driving (just enough to stall out and then have to wait 5 minutes to restart). I checked the EGR and it seems to be fine, also I cleaned the fuel pressure regulator the best I could.

Could both these problems be caused from the timing being off? Timing is suppose to be 0* BTDC, but the closest I could get is somewhere between .5* and 1* BTDC. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get my truck running good before winter hits. Thank you for your help.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the wiring harness along the backside of the engine. The wires that control the timing on mine had chaffed and were grounding out. That could be one of your problems. Also check the fuel pump relay and the wires to the pump.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I must be used to the old stuff, I set my timing at 8-10 BTDC on my truck, I guess things must be different on the newer models. 0-1 BTDC just sound real low to me. Maybe you could try moving the time up a little and see how it reacts.

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

sounds like maybe the timing are off on the dist ... or did you forget to unplug the harness on the firewall when you set the timing so it will stay in memory? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif just a thought....

5. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

I inspected all wires and hoses while I rebuilt the engine and I did unplug the harness when I set the timing. How do I change the timing on the distributor?