Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help 700r wont shift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnDeere, Feb 11, 2007.

1. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

My 700r wont engage in gear.

Heres the story
    Last night I went to the local rodeo and a guy was stuck out in a field. I tried to pulll him out but had no luck cause of the soft ground when ever I tried to get to him i would sink. I got bogged down in the mud and was able to rock it it. I pulled on drie land and went to move my chain to get it from a differnt angle and it would not engage in gear r,od,d,2,1 nothing worked. I got under it and all the shifter were engaging. I waited 30 minutes and it shifted in gear. On my way home it was slipping real bad at first would not shift into 3rd then it would only move in second.

Now when i first start my truck it shift fine but after 4 or 5 shift it starts to slip and then go to neutral. If i kill my truck and start it up agian then it will engage in gear.

So im guess my trans is pretty much shot. But i dont see why all of a sudden it just stoped. It didnt slip any when i was getting un stuck. The hole time i was doing this i was in 4lo so it would be easyer on my tran. I have 410 gears and 33s.

Could me throwing into drive and reverse back in forth when i was rocking it out destroyed my trans or is my trans shifter out of wack some how?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

This is my dd so i need to get it on the road as soon as possible. Well im thinking its pretty much gone. Im thinking of 3 options

1. Get a rebuild kit and try and rebuild it

2. Try and find a cheap 700r at a junkyard

3. Find a th400 at a fair price. ( but will it mate with a 208 or will i have to get a 205 transfer case, which will make me have to get new drive shafts)
    which 3 is giong to be the most costly probly.

im really leaning toward 1, but how hard is it to rebuild a trans.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

when you say you rocked it, you??? shifted drive to reverse, drive to reverse, drive to reverse? That is EXTREMELY hard on an automatic transmission. That and lots of revving with inadequate cooling(no air passing through the trans cooler).

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

It has been my experience that 700's don't take to rocking a truck out of the mud well. if you were under power while shifting between reverse and forward gears then your trans is probably on its last leg. 700's are not the easiest auto's to rebuild and i would not recomend tearing into one as your first try. There are a few special tool you need to build a 700 as well.

What part of Houston are you in?

5. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

thats pretty much what i figured that did it but what surprised me was that it just stoped all of a sudden it didnt slow start slipping. I just parked it then tryed to move it and it wouldnt move.

6. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

Im on the north side of houston in Humble

7. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I take it you're on a tight budget? If so, and with the truck's status as a DD, here's my recomendation. Get a junkyard unit, swap it out, and get all the goodies for the 700r4 as your budget allows and have your stock unit rebuilt, then swap them again. That's what I had to do last year when my stupid piece of garbage Monster 700r4 blew out. They wouldn't refund me and I didn't want another one, so I swapped in a junkyard unit, saved for my TCI 700r4, and swapped them again.

8. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

thats probly what im going to have to do. Yeah im straped on cash being a college student. But it couldnt come at a better time when i just spent all my money buying a Holley tbi kit for it. So my truck will be down for about 3 weeks to a mounth and ill have to use my brothers heep.

9. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

10. Jrgunn5150

Link isn't working. Just don't buy from Monster, they sell on there all the time.

11. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

12. Jrgunn5150

So it's 450 for a rebuild plus your part's? Considering Houston is 3 hour's away from DFW I would look 4 a more local place if possible. It's not a bad price, but personally I would rather have it done by someone local who can help me if I have a problem. And who's place of business I can actually easily head 2 for a "little talk" if needed...

There should be a nice Hi-po oriented trans shop in your area, the rebuild cost minus part's should be about the smae either way.

13. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

No it $300 labor and plus parts, which is about $150. So about $450. I got it quoted at a couple place some mounths ago because it was acting up and the lowest I got priced was $750. So if i can get it done for $450 and add $80 for gas to get it it still alot cheaper than $750. the only downside is like you said it not local, so if i have a problem with it, it will be more of a pain to get it fixed.

14. Jrgunn5150

Ah, will he use whatever part's you take him? Or does he only use his own? Because thing's like a six gear planetary and Beast sun gear would be nice to get.

15. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

I havent called him yet. That will be the first thing i do monday. I dont know anything about the (six gear planetary and Beast sun gear) is that just stronger gears or just a good rebuild kit.

16. Jrgunn5150

Those are just some stronger gears and internals, but a good rebuild kit is around 150, plus whatever extra parts you wanna throw in there while you ar4e at it.