Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help: 78 & 85 bumpers swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Aug 14, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have the opportunity to trade a stock bumper off a 78 Blazer for a winch bumper from an 85 or 86 Blazer. Will they fit right?

I am not real worried about the winch bumper going onto my 78, but the other guy wants nothing more than bolt on for the chrome 78 ono his 86.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Please help?

3. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

the 78 takes the rounded frame end with a bracket on top of the frame and two outer braces...the 86 has a frame that is chopped at an angle, which uses a bracket that slips over the end of the frame, and again two outer braces, which are different than the 78 braces...it's easier to put an 86 bumper on a 78 than a 78 on an 86...especially if he want's a bolt on affair....your best bet is to just find him an 83 up front bumper (81-82 had signals in the bumper, which he won't need)...I have 83 up front bumpers for sale in nice shape...but I think shipping might up the cost for you too much and you'd be better off buying local if you can...just my 2 cents...ED