Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help about 71 k-5 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by texanmudlover, Apr 9, 2004.

1. texanmudlover

texanmudlover Newbie

well im looking in to getting a 1971 k-5 blazer, ive gotten my 94 ford 4x4 the way i want it(my tow truck), and now im working full time so i could afford to get an old blazer, i love the body style of the 71's, and i was wanting to know alittle about them before i get one, like what i should look for, should i get a v8 what i should do to make it trail worthy you know, i havent found anyone who could help me any info on them could help out

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what all you want to know ? drivetrain info ? chassis and suspension info ? body info ?

chassis and suspension on K5 is carryover from 4x4 pickups '63-up cept for the new open style knuckle axle of '70 and up and new standard equipment disc brakes of '71 and up

go here and scroll down to 71: http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml

these rigs were built strogn and right and dont need much doent o them to have fun with them on the trails and such, you would preferably want to swap to 3.73 or 4.10 axles if it has 3.07 axles in which most all the four speed and auto trans ones had, check SPID label in glovebox to find out what the original axle ratio was if is listed, and if the axles are original and never been re geared, pull the diff covers to be sure. also the SPID label will tell you if the rear axle is G80 posi or not, if axle is original and never been changed

welcome to forum and good luck

3. texanmudlover

texanmudlover Newbie

i was just wondering like how hard is to lift one, how strong are they, i found one with a 4 speed v8 for sale, for $1500 no rust,, i just wanted to know a little about it before i buy it

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you need First Gen info the first thing I would do is buy a membership here so you can get into the First Gen technical fourm...ALLLLOT of info there.
    A few facts for you
    69-72 First Generation K5 Blazers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
    69 & 70 modles came factory with front drum brakes, real easy to convet to Disk.
    The hard tops are fully removable and they came in two versions single wall and double wall.
    I prefer the 72 model only cuz that is what I have /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Oh ya and First Gens ROCK!!!!!
    YYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    Have a Great weekend /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

buy it....buy it...it could be a piece for 1500
    GO NOW....NOT LATER....NOW
    Welcome to ck5...
    what part of texas you in..

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

7. texanmudlover

texanmudlover Newbie

tomorrow im goin to look at it again, and talk to the guy, and monday goin by the bank, i live in nocona tx. home of the AGR Wheelin Ranch

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

To answer your question about lifting, the 67-72 trucks and 69-72 K5's are very easy to lift. Generally a 4" lift of either does not require driveshaft modifications, but I did have to add a CV joint to my 69 when I initially did a 4" lift. You will want to add a steering correction. For the 67-69 years the front axle is a closed knuckle Dana 44 which requires a adjustable drag link to adjust steering. The dropped steering arm that is available will not work on the 67-69 closed knuckle axle.

Rear axle can be lifted with springs, blocks, or a shackle flip. Depending on how high you want to go, some use a shackle flip and block or shackle flip and spring to get to the desired height.

You will need to modify your brake lines slightly when lifting. You might have to modify your exhaust slightly, depending on how it was designed. When I lifted my 69, the tailpipe ended up hitting the rear spring hanger.

I bought all my lift stuff from a supplier that is involved here, Off Road Design and was very impressed with their prices and their knowledge.

$1,500 for a no rust first gen is a bargain - get it before it gets away!

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Definately, BUY THE $1500 RUST FREE BLAZER! You can't go wrong!

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

let me go take a look at it for you.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. If it's still available, buy it FAST. At that price, you can't go wrong.