Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help aligning my front clip..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 8, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I swapped in my 454, I took the front clup COMPETELY off. when I put it back on it as a little crooked. Well I have finnaly taken it upon myself to FIX it. Well what is the best way to go about aligning the front clip...Shout I pull it off and bolt the fenders to the core support on the ground and then put it back on that way or should I "piece" it together on my truck? And what is the best way to line the hood back up? Thanks for the help guys

Chris

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

do it on the truck. do you still have the shim's,and know where they came from(how many on the top right fender,etc)? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Aligning can be a painful process but go ahead and start with the radiator support loosely on there and work on one fender at a time. Start lining the body line up from the door forwards to get the best results. Once both fenders are close, put on the hood to get the left to right alignment of the radiator support. Tighten the rad support and then go back to the fenders. Finish the fenders then do the hood. I find washers make good shims because they don't fall out. Put on the cowl next, then the inner fenders last.
    At least this is what i just did. A tip for aligning doors is also to replace those bushings or else it will never work right. And also work from the back towards the front, because the quarter panels arn't going anywhere...but you can adjust everything in front of them.
    Blake