Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help ASAP!!-Bogging down

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, this is not on my K5, but my brothers S10 Blazer. It is an 88' with the weak 2.8L engine Fuel Injected. We just did a major tune up on it about 10 to 11 months ago, (involved, new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, all fluids changed, etc.) Ran fine till recently. Now he's telling me that everytime he slows down (like at a stop sign or trying to park, the Blazer boggs down and cuts off. This happened to him numerous times. (Almost caused some accidents) he has to restart the truck to park or turn at a stop sign everytime. I don't know anything about fuel injection or anything, but could it be the throttle sensor or something? Fuel Pump maybe?? My immediate thought is that fuel is not getting to where it is suppose to somehow. But we put the new fuel filter in not too long ago. Oh, he said that the check engine light comes on everyonce in a while too. What could be causing his Blazer to bog down? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm stumped.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

My friend had a similar problem with his s-10, he replaced some electronic module something to do with the distributor or some sort of electronic component. I just can't remember what it is exactly called but he got that replaced and it ran great after he replaced it. I hope this makes some sense?!?

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hey boss,,
    see if you can get your hands on a comp. to test the trucks sensors.. this could very well be the throttle position sensor or something along that line.. there are two or three sensors that directly control the fuel flow to the engine and if one of them goes bad it'll do all kinds of funny things....hope this helps ,,matt

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

My Jimmy recently did this after I put my new engine in it. I replace all the sensors except the EGR Valve and the O2 sensor. Ran the check on the computer and the codes reflected defective EGR and O2 sensor codes. I replaced those 2 sensors, and all is well. Just a thought.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Short the computer terminal out with a paper clip in sockets 1 adn 2 I think and this should put the computer into diagnosis mode. Then after the first three series of flashing check engine light(1 flash then 2, one flash, then 2. 1 flash then 2) are done then the next set should be your error codes, it will repeat the code 3 times. then go to the next one, if then there are no more it starts back at the beginning. Then call the parts store give them the code and walla. Now here the terminal is on that truck I dont know, either under the dash, fairly visiable or under the hood. Hope this helps.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

The module that Zepplin referred to is the Ignition Module. It's located on or near the distributor. If the S-10 engine dies quickly, as if the ignition was turned off, and then easily restarts, then it does sound like the Ignition Module may be the problem. This occurs when the engine is fully warmed up, not when first started and cold. I had the Ignition Module problem with my 280ZX. Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Thank you all for your help. Gandolf and Zepplin, I think it is the ignition module, b/c this happens when it is warmed up and driven for atleast several minutes. And yes, it does start up quickly again. Thanks again and I will look into this for him.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

8. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thought I'd mention that the Ignition Module for my 280ZX cost around $65, and it was easy to replace. It took less than 5 minutes to R&R.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's