Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help asap Can i haul 700 pounds in a 3/4ton long bed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I need to pick up a piece of 8 inch round bar 49" long... If i can pick it up with my truck i can go home right afterwards. other wise i have to take the company truck to pickit up and then come back to work... Thx.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4 ton = 1500 lbs

Just stick some wheel chocks under it so it doesn't roll around.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've had a 14bff (500lbs) a D44 (300) and some other parts with 4-35" tires in a halfton pickup... it squats and takes a little longer to brake but I dont see why not in a 3/4ton.

just take some 2x4's to chalk it from rolling around and try to center it.

we've had 2600#'s (rocks) in a halfton short bed dodge /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif that was scary and it was on the overloads /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif (only had to go about 10-15miles though) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i picked up 1.5 tons of 90lbs concrete bags in my bosses 1/2 ton short bed 91 chevy p/u, it was kinda hard to see over the hood though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've put 5500lbs of stone in the back of my old 93 K2500. It was heavy, but had no problems... I keep almost 700lbs of tools in the back of mine in my toolbox dang near permanently.

Just my .02,
    John

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 3/4 ton is rated for at double that from the factory, if it's a 2wd you can probably put three times that in it without overloading the rear tires, rear GAWR, or the GVWR.

Short answer, 700 lbs is NO PROBLEM, even in a 1/2 ton it'd be fine.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I carried 9,000 lbs of dirt in my buddy's F-250. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

with out blinking it will carry it. you wont even notice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive hauled 2 skids of paving stones with my 1/2 ton, probably 2000 lbs.

ive usually haul about 2000 lbs with my k20 all the time with over half in the bed.

700 is nothing

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The flatbed alone empty on my 74 K20 weighs in at 1000 lbs--not bragging but I had a 3700 lb detroit diesel 6 cylinder bulldozer motor on it to scrap it at the recyclers,glad it was only about 3 miles away,and I wouldnt do it again--my frame is swiss cheese and barnacles,so are the leaf springs--if my old heap can do that,I wouldnt even think about 700 lbs--heck,thats only 2 or 3 fat chicks!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes you can, unless something is seriously wrong with the truck or if you have too low of weight rating tires, but still 700 is like a fully dressed v8 engine, thtas nothing for a pickup, hell my litgtle yota pickup is hauling around a 350 chevy with stock little 14" tires with no problem at all not even really sitting down at all,

you can haul a bunch of engines in it all at once, and i still have my scrap receipt of when i put 4,440lbs in the back of my 68 c-10 with coils spring trailikng arm rear suspension and hauled it on the highway 40 miles to decatur, only modifcation i did was put on 6 lug 16" wagons with load range C goodyears, i still have those wheels and tires, the truck weighed less empty, 3850lbs

yes i was severely overloaded but i made it with not any incident at all,. that was the day that the entire rear of the truck got picked up by the magnet crane! the magnet head was exactly the width of the pickup bed at the rails tops, it just left a scratch gouge on the top side of the bed rail is all

it had a 305 out of an 80 caprice in it and a th350 short tail and the stock originazl 12 bolt 3.73 open, the 3.73 help a ton of course, if it had been a 3.07 truck then it would have probably busted a U-joint or worse or even the rear, shafts or pinion shaft,

rule of thumb is that 1/2 tons usually can haul 1/2 a tron or hair more depending on GVW

they weight around 3800-4200 empty and GVW is usually around 5500

so thats 1300 to 1700 you can haul legally without being overloaded, but youre supposed to follow the GVW sticker and load it to max front and rear both, not all in the back of the truck alone, youll be loverloaded @ the rear axle technically if you put all the weight in the bed

good luck

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The magnet crane picked my truck off the ground slightly that day I junked the dozer motor--on my way home I made a U-turn and suddenly the steering wheel got real easy to turn,and the front wheels werent responding--the rag joint at the steering box was rotted,the cab and nose must have lifted off the frame enough to rip the rubber thing apart. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'm glad it happenned then,and not when I had the load in the truck--I knew the steering felt kinda weird on the way to the scrapyard,but I thought it was all the weight and a loose power steering belt making it squeal and feel "lumpy"--I shudder to think what could have happenned! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

trust me you can haul it.i load truck and vans all day with roofing.if you took two fiends withe you at 180lbs each thats over half the weight there.i have a guy that comes in every other day and picks up 3400+lbs in his S-10. it's a 97 stepside. AND he also uses a 88 mitsubishi low rider for the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifextended cabs are the worst(full size).the wheelbase is to long with the cab being two foot into the bed area so you can't center it over the wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I hauled 1000 lbs from Salt Lake to San Antonio in my 78 Buick LeSabre. I removed all but the driver's set (40/60 front) and added Firestone air bags to the coils. Didn't go over the tire weight limit either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've hauled 600+ pounds of tires/gear in my softly-sprung K5... and over 1000lbs of axles in my dads 94 ranger... no probs.

j

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I hauled 1000 lbs from Salt Lake to San Antonio in my 78 Buick LeSabre. I removed all but the driver's set (40/60 front) and added Firestone air bags to the coils. Didn't go over the tire weight limit either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] thats what i'm talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i loaded 6240lbs in a chevy astro mini van.I SWEAR TO GOD.that thing was almost broke in half when we loaded the first 16 square. over three tons /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i used to tell people if it could hold it or not, but after twenty years i'm curious.lets see what this baby will hold. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif