Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP ASAP!!! Charging problems...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StageZ, Sep 22, 2001.

1. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

I need help before 6 am... I am goin to take my dirt bike out with a bunch of people and and can't figure out my charging problem.... I just got a new powermaster 140 amp alternator... new battery, new starter new spark plug wires and new battery cables... I am running around 8.9-10.75 volts max.... my lights are dim, my dash I cant see and my blinkers don't work... I can't take the chance hauling two bikes a few hundred miles if I cant figure this out... now, here is where I ask you guys for help... HELP!!!! what should I check out? what should I test and how? what could be causing my problems(my belts are new and perfectly adjusted too)? Any info will help... I have 4 hours to fix this... thanks in advance....

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would look for a bad ground. Do you have a digital volt meter? The battery may also have lost some of its charge while sitting on the shelf. Charge it and than test the running voltage (should be more than 13.5V).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

From what it sounds like the alt isn't kicking in.
    Recheck all the positve leads and see if it is hooked up correctly.
    I am not familar with that type of alt. is it a one wire?

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

have you checked the voltage regulator.

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Is the alternator pulley lined up with your lower pulley ? I had this problem after changing some things ........It actually tore into peices one day.........I lined up my pulleys ad now it charges great, before it would slip due to the mis-alignment.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if nothing else you can always fix any problem if your hammer is big enough... [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>