Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ASAP,engine wont start!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4_76, Jan 17, 2002.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I went to buy '80 K5 this evening.We tried to start it,with no result.It's been parked there from from the beginning of December.It's been quite cold here,lowest temperature has been about -27 celsius(-17F).And now temperature is about 0 celsius(32F).

Engine is carbureted 350.I have no idea is it stock or not,neither did seller knew it.Only thing we know that it won't start.[​IMG]

Battery is in fairly good condition.When cranked,it sounded like all the cylinders are not firing.So,we pull out spark plug from 1. cylinder.It had little carbon deposit,but it wasn't wet.Plugs from cylinders 2,7,8 were wet.We couldn't get plugs from 4 and 6 out 'cause plug socket wrench was too big to fit pass the headers.3 and 5 worked fine,headers were hot on those cylinders so we didn't pull plugs from them.Number 1 didn't give spark when tested,but number two did.

Choke don't work as it should be,so we took off the aircleaner,and I pushed the choke with my fingers.When cranked 4-5 seconds,flames came through the carburetor.

We took off the distributor cap,and it looked OK.

It's been driven to where it was,and nothing is touched by that time that it's been there.

We were thinking that problem is in distributor,because two cylinders are firing.Engine tries to start,runs very poorly second or two,then dies.So what gives?

We try to start it on Saturday again so I need some help with this.I'm not too familiar with carburated Chevy engines.What all I should check?

I don't have K5 yet,but soon..I hope[​IMG]

2. Replace all plugs and use an open socket wrench to get to the plug that is behind the pesky header. Can you smell gas?
    Start small and cheap, first plugs, maybe pull the distributor give a look, see if it is burnt under the cap

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If you're considering buying it, then have the owner purchase plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It shouldn't be more than $50 or so.

Then, if you still have a spark issue, you can narrow it down to the distributor itself.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

What these guys said and also make sure the distributer is tight. If/ when you get it running check the timing.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If flames are coming out, it is bad timing, plug wires firing order is wrong, or a stuck open valve.

I don't know about where your at, but here in CA, people say stuff like "It was running last month, no one has touched it" all the time, and it is OBVIOUS that SOMEONE did something wrong....

Good Luck, I hope it's cheap!

'73 Blazer, 383 Howell TBI, 4" EZ-ride (spring only), 3/4 ton (90 sub') ARB F&R (3.73), 35" BFG AT&MT. TH350/203 hoping for a SM465 conversion

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I'm buying it,no doubt about that.I just need to get it home.Owner said that he can pay all the parts that are needed,so that's no problem.Hopefully problem isn't expensive,because I'm going to swap in 6.2 diesel.

I don't have K5 yet,but soon..I hope[​IMG]

7. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help.

Spark plugs were the problem.We took them off,cleaned,put them back and start the engine.Runs fine for five seconds,then dies and won't start again.It had some crappy NGK plugs,so we replaced them with AC Delco plugs and when cranked,it started right away.

I found out that engine is bored out to 355,cam and pistons are changed.Oh well,that makes good engine for my up-coming off-road vehicle project.

This K5 is for daily driving and weekend wheeling,so I swap diesel in because gas is way expensive here(1 litre of 95 oct is 1 euro = 1 gallon is about $3.60).

'80 K5,355/350/205,soon 6.2 diesel swapped in and 33" tires[​IMG]