Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help asap!! truck update please read

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEOMASTINO2U, Oct 23, 2002.

1. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

hey i need help bad! it is almost 8 in the morning and my husband just called me our 99 chevy p/u is dead in the water! it won't start just cranks over it was running fine when he left for work this morning big problem though he is stuck on whidbey island now! if anyone knows anything about 99 chevy p/u please get back to me asap! the thing has been having a hard time starting lately but still starts now it won't but it started fine this morning he stoped to get gas turned it off and when he went to start it again nothing just cranking almost like the fuel pump went or he is gettting no spark so please we need help fast! i can't afford to get this thing diagnosed let alone fixed by a shop i have to many medical bills and my perscriptions cost us alot of money just to keep me alive so all our money goes to my luekemia, so please i am begging you guys and crying while i am typing this we don't have anyone to turn to for help. so please anyone please help us get this thing figured out its my husbands work truck and the blazer can't be used for work so it is our only vehicle for him to get to work in. anyone?

kelly

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: need help asap!!

kelly we need more info like is it geting gas is it geting spark? it could be a cloged full filter it could be that a sensore(sp?) went out it could be any number of things

3. NEOMASTINO2U

okay i just got off the phone with ron(husband) he talk to a chevy dealership and they said fuel pump? here is some symptoms it has been having in the past month-it was having a hard time starting would have to crank it over and over then it would finally start almost like it was starving for gas, had the alternator and battery checked yesterday because it wouldn't start up yesterday when he was getting ready to leave work but the truck started when he got a jump he drove it to les schwab they checked the battery and alternator everything checked charging great, he was able to start it on the ferry no problems last night it drove home fine except that hard starting, this morning he went out and she cranked a couple of times then fired right up, same old hard to to start nothing new, he rides the ferry over to work it starts up on the ferry no problem but the cold starting- he had to get gas so he pulled in turned it off got the full tank of gas went to start it this time it just cranked over and over and over wouldn't start just engine turning over, so he figured he better stop before the battery went dead, calls a guy from work over to maybe jump start it even though its not dead but it jumped yesterday starting thinking that maybe something wrong with the charging system, but wont even start with a jump so like i said its getting power and the engine is turning over it just won't start, also i don't know if this will help but ever since we bought it you could always here the fuel pump whining when you turned the key on every one told us that was just the pump priming itself, well i asked him to check and see if he could here that this morning when he turned the key on and now he says there is nothing coming from it no sound at all, so i hope this helps.
    kelly

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Does the fuel pump relay click when the key is turned on?

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

99% sure it is the fuel pump. Same thing happened on my 97 GMC I used to have. It left me stranded at a cafe right out of the blue. Cost a little over a hundred dollars for the pump from local auto parts store. Your husband or who ever replaces it will have to drop the tank to get the pump out or take the bed off.

I could always here my fuel pump running also even when the engine was running. So if he doesn't hear it anymore it's got to be the fuel pump.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. NEOMASTINO2U

dont hear anything at all no click and no buzzing from the feul pump,usually you could hear it when the truck was turned on now nothing at all.

kelly

7. NEOMASTINO2U

all the auto parts stores we have called say its a factory only part! have to get it from chevrolet and they want 360.00 bucks for the damn thing! does anyone know how to change a fuel pump in that type of truck!?

kelly

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Is he still on Whidby?
    If I wasn't at work I would say I could help. As it is I can ask you questions about it.
    If he can get it to the ferry maybe I can help, later. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i would make sure it is the fuel pump first by
    spraying some starting fluid in it , then if it
    starts , you know for sure that its a fuel problem.
    after that you still have to make sure the fuel pump
    fuse didnt blow for some reason. and if the fuse is good,
    make sure you dont have a clogged fuel filter incase he
    might have ran it too low. and if all that is ok, i would
    shop around becouse $360.00 is an awful lot just for the
    pump. they usually run about a $100 bucks

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I also agree it's the fuel pump.
    Same thing happened to my dad's '97 burb a week after he bought it. (bought it in '99). Worst part about the whole deal was that he had just filled the tank with 40 gallons of gas - it all had to come out.

11. NEOMASTINO2U

unfortunitly can't spray into it the pump is in the tank and its that stupid vortec motor, the fuel filter was just changed so we know its not that and it is full of gas he just checked, and the worse thing is he just filled the tank up! he hasn't run the tank low either, he is pretty anal about that he is always paranoid he is gonna run out of gas cause the gas gauge quit working about 5 months ago so he is always putting gas in the dam thing now its got a full tank of gas! and we just called around and no one can get the part because it is factory only they had to go off our vin number at chevy just to make sure they got the right fuel pump, shucks/napa and action auto just laughed at me and said sorry call chevy up we don't carry that and can't get it, its a chevy only part! can't belive they do this! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif its a rip off. he is still stuck on whidbey island but a tow truck is on its way to get it home! god it is gonna cost us 150.00 just to get it to the house! i feel like shooting myself now! or pushing the dam thing off the ferry boat! so how do we change this fuel pump? and how hard is this gonna be?

kelly

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK what is the vin. I'll have my parts guy look and see how much it really is.
    I've done alot of in tank pumps before. Only diffrence is they were empty! lol no problammo! We can check it first to make sure too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. NEOMASTINO2U

okay here is th vin #1gchk33j2xf054698, and it is the 3500 99 chevy 4dr. 4x4 non dually. hope this helps and its got the 454 vortec motor.
    thank you so much, and looks like he is on his way to the ferry courtesy of a tow truck and he is bringing it home. chevy dealer wants 600 plus to fix it! so it may just have to sit for a long while before getting fixed.

kelly

14. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Check the relay to make sure it's working. There may also be a big fuse in the block under the hood for it. Good luck.

15. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Alright like I said we can figure out what is wrong first if it does need a pump I can get it.
    The issue is after '97 there modular units thats why they are so expencive, list is like $430! I can get it from a dealer for $380, or an indapendant I've used for years, they're kinda hit & miss sometimes but......They can get it for $226. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. NEOMASTINO2U

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif wow i think i just fainted! but that is better than the dealership price, husband just called our daughters friends dad he works at an acura dealership and can save us 20% off what chevy wants but that is still 300 bucks! but he said something about a cpi unit? it apparently controls the injectors opening and closing says it could of failed and they are stuck open flooding the engine?! but like i keep saying i think it is the fuel pump, there is no noise coming from it like there normally is, before you even start the truck up you can hear the pump whining its pretty loud and now there is nothing coming from it. but he is checking fuses now waiting to hear back from him on that.
    will let you know if its a fuse blown.

kelly

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HA, I work at an Acura dealer as well, weird. Anyhow I think I'm going to head home soon as theres nothing going on here. If you want to do something tonight let me know soon so I can bring the stuff home. K /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. NEOMASTINO2U

you are a life saver, will let you know as soon as he pulls in on the tow truck! thats gonna cost us! he is gonna check when he gets home to see if there is power to the pump they told him to put a tester on the wires going to the pump and if there is power there then its the pump, if not then its the relay but they told him that the relay wouldnt cause the hard start thats been going on for the past month, mind you this is the chevy dealer that wants us to bring it in so they can rip me off! do you know anything about a cpi unit that they say can also be the problem?! what is that?

kelly

19. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm not super fimiluar (sp) with the Chev. stuff, although I do know abit about them. I think you will find something mechanical wrong as you have had a hard start for a while. I think since you do have a full tank we can remove the bed. As long as theres nothing in it?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That maybe the best way but we will have to look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'm close to outta here, so I'll just take some stuff home with me and you can call, or I'll see it on here maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. NEOMASTINO2U

Okay pm me with your phone number again, i lost it. as for taking the bed off that may be a little difficult we have a fifth wheel hitch in it and a bunch of other crap like his giant tool box that is bolted down. plus how would we lift the bed off! i don't have anything to pull that thing up and off the truck. i can't belive the pump is on the top of the gas tank what a stupid place to put it! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif agian this is why i stick with older trucks and i kept telling him this thing was gonna cost us an arm and a leg to fix and he didn't listen!men! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif don't they know women are always right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    i will call you when we know for sure if it is the pump he has never done one of these before so i don't want him braking anything!

kelly