Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help asap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Jun 13, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Trying to change all the fluids and gaskets today, all is going well until I try to take the oil filter off. I try the big graphite nut, the steel strap oil filter wrench,and neither works, I get the biggest pipe wrench I can fine and voila, it mangles the oil filter into a nice greasy piece of origami. Any ideas how I can get this now ruined thing off? I've tried everything I know how, I would love to start the engine up and see if getting it warm might help, but not with a big gash in the filter.

thanks.

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey bud call me mabyei can help 640-7742

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have had some problems like that before on a couple vehicles, including my last Chevelle. Had to take a screwdriver on one and hammer it into filter, and then tapped and turned it off, did make a mess. Another time I used a punch and hammered it off slowly, made a mess there too . An old timer once said use a leather belt and turn it off as the leather will grab the mangled part and grip it as you pull/tighten it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

What Paul said. All the old timers where I came from -- tractor country -- told me exactly that... the belt trick, or the BFS (big ... screwdriver) thing.

-- A

5. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

he got it loose or should i say his neighbor got it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

when all else fails, pound a big scewdriver through the filter and then turn it like a big handle, I do it quite often. cause some (darn) gorilla,(me) turned it too tight when he installed it, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Tried the big screwdriver thing, just mangled it. Ultimately the neighbor's superior knowledge of leverage and the use of a few choice words worked it on loose. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Good ol' Dan. Anyway, I've chewed up a few filters, but this one was nasty when we were done with it. thanks for the pointers.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you tear the can right off with the screwdriver trick--its time for the heavy artillery--remove the "can" down to the base until you get to the plate that threads onto the motor,youll see several holes around its circumfrence--you can use a punch and 5lb hammer to "spin" the plate off--you can use an air chisel to advantage here too(carefully)to get the remains off--.
    You have my sympathy--seems every time I change the oil on one of my "new" purchases,some gorilla put the filter on,and never changed it for 5 years! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif