Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 13, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I have my truck in a welder shop, they're boxing up the frame reenforcing it for the gear box, my old gear box was leaking so I bought a new one from a guy, the only thing is that the new one is from a 2WD pick up truck, I just called the guy right now and he told me that probably the new gear box was not gonna fit because it's from a 2WD pick up truck, he told me that he was going to take off the pitman arm from my old box and put it in the new one to see if it'll fit what do you guys think, will it fit???

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I don't think the pitman arm will work. The main problem is the 4x4 box turns front to rear, the 2wd swings left to right. That will be the problem. SOunds like you are about 1/2 way towards a cross over steering conversion...

COrey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Your halfway there for cross over steering

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4.56 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The pitman arm wont work, however, you can remove the shaft from the 4wd box(if its good) and put it into the 2wd box and then re attach the pitman arm and it will work just fine.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It only cost about $12 for the seals at Autozone. if it just leaks but otherwise works fine the just slap some new seals in it. The seals at the arm can be replaced with it in the truck and infact it is easiest to remove the seals with it still connected. Pull the c clip (leave the arm on to catch the seals (2 they are different and mush go in the way they come out with spacers) fire up the truck and give it a full left crank to the stop when it squeals it will blow the bottom seals out. Real messy so be pre pared for that :). Then pull the box off the truck. If you drill a couple of holes in the input seal being VERY carefull not to hit the shaft you can use a cotter pin extractor or an awl and pull the seal out with out taking the box apart. Just make sure when you put it back together that the c-clips are fully seated.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper