Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jun 12, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 350 tbi and i was coming home from work today and i went to pass someone so i jumped on it and the truck died, so i got it to the side of the road and it started right up, then after about 2 miles i was going up a hill so i had to give it some gas and it died, it died on me 5 times on my way home and it only happens when you give it gas, whats the problem here? any help will be appreciated otherwise im gonna have to call in sick for a couple of days, thanks.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Did the check engine light go off? Does it have hesitation problems too?
    Sort of sounds like a fuel delivery issue ... fuel filter/pump or dirty injectors. A clogged cat. converter would do it too.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> </font color> /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I would say you ride Vaper locked on you. how hot was it outside? If that was what it was, For a cure I've heard of people useing wooden cloths pins on the fuel line. Maybe an Elec. Fuel pump or try reroute the fuel line.

Eric

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Fuel pump or possibly filter. Filter isn't to bad to change. Its in the middle of the frame on the inside of the rail. Its a little, round, metal canister. Fuel pump is a little more tricky. You have to drop your gas tank and take on the center to get at the pump.

5. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

vapor lock?????????? cured with clothes pins? I've seen people route a fuel line through a coffee can with ice in it /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif but i wouldn't think stomping on the gas would cause vapor lock

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

It really sounds fuel related. maybe your fuel pump is going out or even your fuel filter.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How would clothes pins cure vapor lock??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I have an '87 tbiand it has the 32 gallon tank. If it is below the 1/8 remaining point it will act like thaton inclines and when I give it the gas. I think my pick-up tube is set a little to high. My fuel pump went out and it acted a little like yours does, my intake screen was clogged and the fuel pump tried to eat it /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif .
    The other problem could be a bad pressure regulator (my '87 K5 has 227,000 miles, I've experienced everything that could possibly break), if the pressure drops too far the injectors will not give a good spray pattern and it will drive funny while on the throttle. Good luck.