Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Suffergauge, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

Ok so I am trying to pull the rear yoke of my t-case (np203 w/part time) and I put this giant freakin wrench on the nut, give it a clean yank and I hear a pop. The marks I made on the case and yokes are misaligned now and there seems to be a fair amount of play in it about a 1/4 inch either way.
    1. What the hell happened?
    2. Is there a trick to pulling that yoke?

HELP!!

Jeff

2. Suffergauge

Anyone??? Please..

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

this is prolly one of those hafta b there to diagnose problems. sorry that i cant really help. can u realign the marks?? let us know

NITRO

4. Suffergauge

They come close but not flush. I realy hope I didn't bust something. I can't see how I would have but, none the less. weirder things have happened.

What happens if I pull the rear housing? Does the rear shaft & yoke come off with it??

Jeff

5. Suffergauge

Alright, so I am going to try an impact wrench I borrowed from a friend tomorrow. If that doesn't work I am up the creek!

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

MAYBE U POPPED IT OUT OF GEAR OR SKIPPED THE CHAIN OR BROKE THE PART TIME KIT IF IT HAS ONE ...ER SUMTHIN

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, Well, What happens if you just keep turnin on it with the wrench? Can't budge it? When I busted the yoke on my 203, I had to get a 3/4" drive breaker bar and about a 3' cheater pipe to get the nut off...If I remember correctly, its a 1 5/16". What kinda pop was it? You say there is play? You mean the yoke actually turns on the splines of the output shaft? Where exactly is the play? Good luck with it...... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. Suffergauge

If I keep turning it the same thing happens. I was able to reverse it and pop it back to where it was after the first pop. The pop is quiet, feels like it is starting to move and then kinda a slip. Is it slipping from spline to spline? The play is if I reach up and grab onto the yoke it wiggles left to right about 1/4 inch either way.
    You're right about the size 1 5/16" and I am using a 3/4" driver.
    It does have the part-time kit in it. I didn't put it in so I don't know if it is a MM or not or even which kit it is, I will assume it is not the shaft kit.

Thanks,
    Jeff

9. Zeus33rd

Hmm, So turning the nut actually turns the yoke? Thats odd...The nut would have to be really stuck to the yoke for that to happen. The yoke shouldn't turn AT ALL when ya turn the nut. If you keep turning it, does it go pop pop pop? Or just one pop? If it does more than one pop exactly the same, I would say it's spining the yoke on the splines and you have a problem. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif If it's just one pop and then doesn't do it anymore....I don't know. Probably not good either...Wish I culd be there to see it myself......I like tryin to figure out stuff like this. I'm kinda at a loss now....Can anyone else shed some light? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. Zeus33rd

Just re-read it again...You said the yoke wiggles right to left? like from drivers side to passenger side? Take a close look at the yoke and see if you can see any cracks in it...If it's wiggling that way, perhaps it's cracked. Could also maybe be somethin internal too. When it wiggles, goes the nut wiggle left and right too? Or just the yoke?

11. Suffergauge

Ya know I only pulled on the wrench long enough to generate one "pop" at a time. As soon as it happens I back off. So the furthest past where it was when I yanked the driveline has been two "pops".

12. Suffergauge

oh yeah the wiggle... not like it's loose, like a driveshaft rotation. I don't know how much it should move. Is it just normal? I know the yoke is bad, it was bad when I bought it, but it is out of round and causes vibration.

13. Zeus33rd

I think the rotation is pretty much normal. s for the rest......I'm kinda lost, Wish I could see it. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

14. Suffergauge

I dunno, I want to say thanks for tryin. I started this thread like 12 hours ago and you were one of the few to try and help out. Go have a cold one on me! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Jeff

15. Zeus33rd

No problem dude. I hate when I make a post needin help and get 1 reply that had nothin to do with what I needed. So I try to when I can. As for the cold one.....2 or 3 steps ahead ofya bro. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Suffergauge

Right on.... I put this in the garage as well and a guy said he used a big ol pipe wrench on the yoke with a cheater resting on the ground to keep the yoke from turning. I tried a chunk of wood, because I don't have a wrench that big... didn't work. I will try a piece of pipe next. If I can keep the yoke from rotating, I should be in business. Then I get to find out if the splines are stripping. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Jeff

17. Suffergauge

YAY!!! I got that Mu*&$F@#^%R off with the imact!! Thanks guys. 32 spline came with what? 400 right? Or was it a 305? I know the rig had a 400 in it stock, but don't know if it is the stock t-case.

Jeff