Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help asap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85burbanator, May 4, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

ok this is really starting to agrivate me. i have to change my brake rotors cause they are very gouged up. do i have to take the whole hub assembly off? if i do how do i take out my warn manual hubs. i put them in but cant remember how. its really makeing me mad and i feel like an idiot but im totaly drawing a blank. if anybody can give me some advise it would be very very appreciated. oh yea its on an 85 sub with the 10 bolt front.

2. 85burbanator

never mind i figured it out.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You really need a service manual - $15 at Autozone or wherever.

To remove the Warns, you remove the 6 allen head screws and remove the hub face. Then there is an internal and an external snapring that will need to be removed. You can either cuss and use a screwdriver or buy a $5 machinist/automotive pick and get them out pronto. The the hub body is removed exposing the wheelbearings and spindle nut.

To change the rotors, you need the remove the hubs and wheelbearings. If the brake caliper is removed then the hub/rotor assembly will come right off.

The rotor is attached to the hub by the wheel studs. These should be pressed out. If you can't do that, then get a SPARE acorn-style lugnut and put it on a wheel stud and knock it out with a hammer. Repeat times 6 (or 8 if the axle is 3/4 ton) and the rotor and hub are seperated. Buy a new rotor and now you'll need to press the wheel studs back in. Use a big punch and a big hammer if you do not have a press. It will take some muscle but will do the job. Be careful not to whack the rotor with the hammer.

If any of your wheel studs have damadged threads then now is the time to replace them. If it were me, I would replace them anyways because why put back in old wheel studs? You rarely remove the rotor from the hub so you might as well, but it's your choice.

Good luck and remember to use brake cleaner on all the braking stuff - don't just leave your greasy fingferprints on the rotors when you are done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- Mike

4. 85burbanator

hey thanx tx mudder. we got it all apart and are now getting ready to put it back together. we used plenty of brake cleaner (2 1/2 - 3 cans). would anybody know what the torque settings should be if any for the spindle nuts?

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

torque settings? try going to autozone.com and on the front page they have a link to online service manuals... if that doesnt help, torque to feel... lol