Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP BAD!!!!! Fly Wheel/Starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76blaz, Jan 3, 2003.

1. 76blaz

76blaz Registered Member

I have replaced the starter in my truck 3 times. for the first 2 - 3 weeks it works great, but then it starts to make grinding sounds and takes a lot more effort to start. The last time I replaced the starter, I found that one of the teeth had broken off of the gear in the starter - I know thats not good, but have know idea why this happened. The teeth on the fly wheel are slightly worn on the ends. I need help - i'm getting tired of replacing the starter. Any help would be great.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

sounds like some shimming is required. dosnt it say on the box you brought the starter in say "some shimming required" i know on the autozone starters /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, you need to shim them 1\8 to fit. my starter is pissing me off because it sometimes hangs up after i start it but i dont pay much attention to it, im to far gone into my truck i lisin and check everything at least once a day .

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 76blaz

76blaz Registered Member

I have shimmed it. Like i said it works great for the first 2 - 3 weeks with no sounds and no effort, then all of a sudden it starts to make a grinding sounds everytime I try to start it.

4. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

what kind of motor do you have?this can help alot my 388 stroker i built unfortunately had the same problem. So after 3 regular starters i put on a part from gm it's a starter brace that goes from the back of the starter to the block. If you look at the block there should already be a 3/8 hole i think. The starter brace is normally found on deisels due to the high compression, it accually makes the starter want to torque out away from the flexplate. It is a GM part and can be aquired for a little over 7 bucks. You might want to try it. I now have a high torque race starter on mine and still have no problems. Hope this helps.

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Are you using the correct starter bolts and does it have the brace installed on the end to support it? Most starters work properly without these, but they may help. It sounds like it may be loosening up, and shifting out of alignment, did you ever recheck the bolts when it starts acting up to be sure they are staying tight.

6. 76blaz

76blaz Registered Member

As far I know, it's still the original 350 in it. The bolts seem to be the right ones and there is no brace holding the starter. Could the warn teeth on the fly wheel have something to do with the problem, or is that a result of the problem? If it would make it easier, I could take a pic of the fly wheel and starter and post it. Maybe that would help with the problem solving.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Where are ya getting your starters from?
    Are they reman units?
    How are the cables, are they in good shape?

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My 76 did the same thing until I put an AC Delco starter in it. Never had another problem after that. These trucks are sometimes sensitive in that area and Autozone, NAPA or anything but AC Delcos sometimes don't solve the problem.

I've heard that other guys don't need to go this route, and use Autozone with no prob, but if you've gone thru 3 already, might as well try it. Nothing to lose at this point.

9. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

For reference, all starter bolts should have a knurled shank near the bolt head for proper starter location. Also all full size starters should have a brace mounted between the front of starter & side of block. This prevents the starter from twisting under load & binding the teeth or cracking the nose cone. If yours is missing, buy one from a starter repair shop for a few $$.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had the same problem, and every 2 weeks I reshim it different and it works for a while until I noticed a broken nose.
    I changed it and it worked for a couple of weeks then broke another nose.
    I didn't have the brace in the back.
    I made one since I didn't find one and that solved the problem. Now it's fine.

11. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Maybe it's the way you are shimming it. I had the same problem until I figured out it needed to be shimmed toward the flywheel instead of away. Try shimming the outside bolt only 1/16, them add from there. You can check for proper clearence by installing starter w/o the solonoid or spring. Engage the gears by hand. I bent a large paper clip to make a wire gauge to check clearence. .020-.030 is acceptable. Check between the point of the starter gear to the base of the flywheel gears. Shim until the wire moves freely through without a lot of slop. Starter will be nice and quiet.