Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help badly *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Muddytazz, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone have any time to come to my place and have a look/listen to help me figure out what the hell is happeneing to my burb?

Disturbing Problem

*Update*
    Well I started working on the starter/flexplate issue today, and I ended up putting in a 1/16" shim to shim the starter closer, and it seems that i'm still way to far away. Anyone ever hear of this happening?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Need help badly

I'm heading to Chicago on a business trip in an hour so can't help you out there.............. However, by your description, your problem sounds like the starter needs shimmed. First off, try loosening the two bolts holding the starter and moving the starter a bit *away from the flywheel*..........that worked for my last starter install.

If that doesn't work, get to a NAPA and get a starter shim kit, read the instructions and do that. Do it NOW - having to replace a flexplate is not cheap nor fun to do..........been there, done that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yep I'd try and shim it , it worked for me. Mine would always fire up right away so it would only grind for a second but everybody bitched at me til I fixed it, it was easy.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Problem was fixed, i posted the fix in the garage with my post.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

cool!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

glad you got it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well, after I said I got it fixed, couple days later the grinding is back /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifcould it possibly be the flexplate? Or could it be something else. This is starting to baffle me and get me frustrated. If anyone could help with the diagnosis it would be great.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I still think you should focus on the shimming of the starter.............something is causing it to grind on the flexplate. Try my first idea of moving it by hand by loosening the bolts first and shifting it, AND get that $5 shim kit.

Keep us posted............... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I did get that shim kit and have tried all sorts of shimming combos. Right now when i go to start it, it will grind, but if i just bearly bump the key once or twice and then try and start it, it won't grind. That almost tells me that its an out of round flexplate, like maybe one or some of the welds have cracked. But when I pull the inspection plate off to look, I can't see anything.

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ok, I've watched this post long enough, move over /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
    1-Take the damn starter out and have someone put a socket on the front crank pully bolt, and slowly turn it over.
    2-with a good light, look for inconsistancies or slightly damaged in the ring gear, ( the side the starter hits of course, they do NOT have to be broken off to make it grind. I repeat, they do NOT have to be broken or missing to make it grind. 9 times out of 10 a combustion engine will stop in the same place every time it is shut off, thus giving you the gring EVERY time you start it, UNLESS you bump it elsewhere b4 you try.

Go out right now if you dont believe me and grab the belts, turn it bit clockwise, and hit the key, itll prolly NOT grind. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif problem solved.

3- If by some stroke of badluck you have pissed off god, and all looks perfect, look to see if the ring gear is disconnecting itself from the flexplate at a tackweld, though ive only seen this ONCE, and also check the starter gear to see if it has a damaged tooth.
    Lemmie know.........

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Go out right now if you dont believe me and grab the belts, turn it bit clockwise, and hit the key, itll prolly NOT grind. problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Problem not solved.
    9 times out of 10 a combustion engine will stop in the same place every time it is shut off, thus giving you the grind EVERY time you start it, UNLESS you bump it elsewhere b4 you try.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes I know about the fact that a engine will start and stop everytime in 1 of 3 spots on the ring gear...BUT, if i go to start it and it starts grinding, i stop trying to start it, bump the key a couple times(to move it to a different spot like you and I both say)and start it, it will start fine. BUT, after a few more starts, it will be grinding again.

12. uglychevyZZ4

BUT, after a few more starts, it will be grinding again.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, here is your main focal point...

Refer to #1 in my previous post, You cannot get a good start one time and NOT the next if it is a shim problem. That needs to be checked well lit and very closely. As much as you dont want it to be the flywheel, it most likely is.

UNLESS- you have a bad bendix shaft bushing, thus letting the shaft have slop and move the gear offside when the bendix comes out, maybe check that, I forgot that can happen too. Something is either moving or missing such as space or metel.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Update on the original post at the top

14. uglychevyZZ4

are you too far away where you have teeth or where there are heavily worn spots? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm only about .003 worn, but yeah, i'm to far away still

found out that max closeness is .025 and the farthest you should be out is .060.

16. uglychevyZZ4

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifok jeff, this can only get so complicated, something isnt jivin /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifdont make me come down there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Please, by all means, someone get down here, then maybe this damn thing will get figured out, its starting to piss me off.

18. uglychevyZZ4

LOL, easier yet, you drive here /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif i hate that drive to Or. where is Canby anywhoo?

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

LOL, about 20 min south of portland

20. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well the problem is found! The block is broke where the outer bolt is, 1/2" tall piece fell out from the outer edge. Going to try and see if i can get someone to weld it back on and make a brace for the end of the starter to bolt that end up to the block also as a temp fix under i can afford to get a new block. Hopefully this will get me by for awhile.