Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help: beginning welding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Oct 16, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Doin the gas welding for now. Couple questions:

My beads, well...for only a few hours practice aren't too bad.

I'm having a problem welding 2 pieces into an 'L' shape. I keep getting a small bead on each piece (or burning a hole through one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), but nothing substantial in the joint. Some tips would be great. I was doing something a little thicker than sheet metal with the smallest tip (0?). The amount of oxygen and acetane was correct.

Second thing is, I can use all the gas and electric I want, but I have to provide the metal. Seems stupid to buy metal I'm goin ruin, any ideas where I could pick up some scrap for little or nothing??

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Junkyard. You could get all the scrap you want there for $50.

I would start with electric welding, it's much easier.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm taking a class, so I don't get to pick the order. I just want to go back and practice some before next class.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

most good schools start you out on gas welding .. dont be bummed that it isnt looking like it should yet,,, it takes practice and control to weld light guage with oxy/actelene
    make sure you get a good fit up so there are no large gaps. tack your piece in several places, get the metal just red hot and begin moving in little circles,,, dont linger once the rod begins to flow,, thats how you get burnthrough...
    what you are learning now will help you when you want to learn tig ... so dont dispair..
    you will find mig much easier and with a couple of hours practice you will be able to weld non critical parts well
    as to metal... most metal shops have a scrap bin they are throwing away... let them know you are a welding student and just need scraps.. most good ones will then sell the scrap to you for something like 20 cents a pound (wholesale for scrap right now is about 2 cents a pound)
    There are many good books on welding.. go to the bookstore and buy one thats easy for you to understand and has lots of pictures
    practice practice practice
    cam