Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Big Time...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dansblazer, Oct 30, 2004.

1. dansblazer

dansblazer Registered Member

Well new at this, hoping to find and have some questions answered...I need to purchase the complet spare tire assembly for 81 blazer full size that was mounted on the outside quater panel and also Need information on what is best or type of locker for the blazer....This Project is being restored body off rest. and will become a Daily driver with 3:42 gears and 31 inch tire...Light to medium off road. I really would like to find the originall tire support assembly for a blazer...I may be reached at danpilon@rogers.com
    Thanks Dan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You mean the inside tire carrier? I don't recall ever seeing one mounted to the outside of the rear quarter panel. IIRC there also was never a swing away carrier offered stock for these trucks.

A 31" tire fits nicely on the stock carrier behind the back seat.

Probably best to post up in the parts wanted forum for something like this. That tire carrier is one of the first things to go when guys modify their trucks. Once you run 35's or bigger it's pretty much useless.

Best locker for your application would probably be a clutch type limited slip. Factory stock is a 'Gov-lock' which is a big piece of crap. Look into Auburn for a good LSD.

Rene

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

There were stock outside tire carriers offered in his model year. Unfortunately they are rare and often discarded for the same reasons you have stated... they are weak. Since he isn't looking to add larger tires or a huge lift the stock tire carrier(s) should be fine. If you want or need an interior tire carrier I have one that I pulled from my Blazer right after I bought it from the original owner. I have all the bolts to mount it inside the truck and the black carpet tire cover. I don't have the outside tire carrier unfortunately but if you want to go the other direction I'll take $20 and shipping costs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Must be rare...I've never seen one. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It was not factory it was dealer. Its made by Valley and they are still available from JC Whitney. There is a version for just tire and a version for Tire and Jerry can. The Jerry can one will only fit a 32 if you still want the can to go on. 33 Is as big as I would recommend for that.

Do yourself a favor and skip it. I had one and regretted it after a while. www.4x4iron.com can make you a custom bumper with a Carrier that doesn't require 8 holes into the body to mount.