Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help building a computer tower

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by outlaw612, Nov 14, 2004.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My mom is wanting a computer at her house for my son to play games on. Im thinking it will probably be cheaper to build a good gaming system than to try to by a new one. No internet use, no document or any other program use, just games. I need to build it as cheep as possible.

Can someone give me some ideas on what needs to go into something like this? Could anyone out there possibly build something like this or mybe just have some of the parts?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm no expert but i would definitely go with an AMD system.. much more gaming bang for the buck... if your looking for parts, newegg.com is one of the best...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't even bother price searching anymore, Newegg has the best deals.

I just ordered new parts for my PC from Newegg. ASUS A7V600-X, 1gb of ram(modern games eat this up), soon to be a 2400+ Mobile Amd XP, and soon a Radeon X800 XT likely. Video card is what I mostly need but a video card with no computer backing is like puting a weiand 871 on a stock 350. Sure you will make more power but if you tweak that motor you will make TONs more.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Need more information.

What is is your budget?

What type of games are you wanting to be able to play? Tetris takes a lot less computer than Grand Theft Auto.

Depending in your familiarity with building computers, it may be advisable to buy an e-machines computer for around $400. Since they use onboard video, you would probably still need to add a video card to it (maybe $100) but that would be it.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I just ordered ...ASUS A7V600-X, 1gb of ram,2400+ Mobile Amd XP, and soon a Radeon X800 XT

[/ QUOTE ]

Can that via 600 board overclock the mobile XP like an nforce2 can? I went with an nforce2 board and mobile xp 2500+. It's at 2.3 G and running very cool.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

I just ordered new parts for my PC from Newegg. ASUS A7V600-X, 1gb of ram(modern games eat this up), soon to be a 2400+ Mobile Amd XP, and soon a Radeon X800 XT likely. Video card is what I mostly need but a video card with no computer backing is like puting a weiand 871 on a stock 350. Sure you will make more power but if you tweak that motor you will make TONs more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind if I ask why ya went with the XP chip over the A64? You can get an A64 2800+ for $120 from Pricewatch.com. The reason I ask is if you want the X800 XT you'll want a processor that won't bottleneck the card. With that chip, you might as well get a 9800xt. Unless you plan on overclocking the hell out of the XP chip.

My gaming system consists of an A64 3800+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, x800 XT-PE, 1gb Corsair XMS Pro ram. It frickin screams. 3dMark03 score of 12,958. 3dMark05 score of 5,996. Built it myself from scratch. Picture here.. [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Anyways, Enough bragging...

outlaw= How old is your son? What type of games does he play? And what is your budget? I am more than willing to help ya with this, and/or build it for ya. I can help ya with pickin parts or whatever. You send me some parts, and I'll send you back a fully functional system. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. ryoken

nice rig. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm hoping my XP 2000, 9500 Pro will play HL2 reasonably well...

8. Zeus33rd

Thanks for the good words. Your rig lookin good too. Which fan controller/temp monitor is that mounted on the front? I need to get one of those things../forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

HL2 should be here Tuesday. Althought I guess some stores are selling it early. Clicky...

9. ryoken

thanks..

its a Nexus... works well.. think it was 30 or $40..

i really like the Matrix Orbital LCD display. lotta fun.. run all kinds of cool stuff thru it, motherboard monitor, etc...

[​IMG]

10. Zeus33rd

That things pretty cool...I like the customized name thngy. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I noticed you monitor your temps in farenheit...It's funny, the only things I don't do in farenheit are my computer temps. Sitting at 38*c cpu, 23*c case, and 38*c vid card as I type this. Would be nice to be able to run mbm through one of those things and clean up all the damn icons in the sys tray. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind if I ask why ya went with the XP chip over the A64? You can get an A64 2800+ for $120 from Pricewatch.com. The reason I ask is if you want the X800 XT you'll want a processor that won't bottleneck the card. With that chip, you might as well get a 9800xt. Unless you plan on overclocking the hell out of the XP chip.

My gaming system consists of an A64 3800+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, x800 XT-PE, 1gb Corsair XMS Pro ram. It frickin screams. 3dMark03 score of 12,958. 3dMark05 score of 5,996. Built it myself from scratch. Picture here.. [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Anyways, Enough bragging...

outlaw= How old is your son? What type of games does he play? And what is your budget? I am more than willing to help ya with this, and/or build it for ya. I can help ya with pickin parts or whatever. You send me some parts, and I'll send you back a fully functional system. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatcha watchin there? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Zeus33rd

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I was about to post the same thing

14. ryoken

celcius confuses my dumbass... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

it does all kinds of neat stuff... you can do different style EQ spectrum analyser things with Winamp, etc.. framerates for games, CPU usage, weather reports, etc... it runs about $100, but i think it was well worth it.

i'm also extremely happy with the Lian Li case, very high quality..

i'll more than likely be going for an upgrade on the CPU, memory and vid card next spring/ summer... right now i'm running an Asus NForce 2 deluxe board in there.. i've been very happy with the systems performance considering i went up from a P3 500mgz Gateway /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe a game system would be best?

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cause I didn't realize 64s were so cheap already /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif May just have to sell that Asus board.

17. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I should have been a little most descriptive. You guys are talking alot more than what Im looking for. My son is only 7. Im not sure what kind of games he will be wanting but I know the games he plays here at home is still just stuff along the lines of SpongeBob and Rugrats. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

We have a PS2 for the GTA games.

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AMD XP1800 and up, at least 512MB of DDR ram, Sata hard drives are cheap enough (also need a newer power supply or an adapter and a SATA (Serial ATA) cable), 48-52x cd-rom or a combo 48xCD/16xDVD drive, then it comes down to what Motherboard and Video card /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    If your overclocking definatly a lot of cooling fans /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Myself I'm a SOYO guy, Dont know just have always had luck with SOYO or ASUS boards.

Here's my machine specs (this is about a 2year old machine but would be good for budget gaming minus the video card which is for production graphics. I'm getting ready to build a new machine after the first of the year. 2GHz, 1gb of DDR ram, dual 160gb SATA hard drives, maybe a newer video card thats still a production type card, I'm not a gamer)

Case mods page

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MODS include an Antec LED 7color USB powered light (seen at the bottom)
    I added an 80mm Crystal Clear Blue LED fan in the top
    and replaced the Power supply with a dual fan SATA ready power supply
    painted floppy and zip drive faces

Air Flow is as Follows:
    92mm fan in the bottom
    92mm fan in the front
    92mm fan out the top
    80mm fan in the bottom of the power supply
    80mm fan out the back of the power supply
    80mm fan out the back top of case
    40mm fan in on the hard drive
    40mm fan in over the top of the HD cooler plate
    Dragon Orb III 7000RPM CPU HeatSinkFan

[​IMG] Round cable for air flow... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Plus they look cool /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. Zeus33rd

I also sent this in a PM....

Did a bit of research on Newegg.com and this is what I came up with based on your budget..

AMD Sempron 2200+ processor= $54 (Semprons are, for the most part, rebadged/renamed Athlon XP's)
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-104-208&depa=1

MSI KT6V-LSR Motherboard= $56
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-445&depa=1

Mushkin 512MB DDR PC-2700 RAM= $71
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-217&depa=1

Sapphire Radeon 9250 Video Card= $49
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-440&depa=1

Maxtor 40gb 7200rpm hard drive= $47
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-133&depa=1

Rosewill case w/350w power supply= $22
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-147-010&depa=1

If you don't want/need or need a DVD or CD-RW drive I have a 52x Sony conventional CD-ROM drive I could stick in the system. Otherwise..

Samsung 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive= $36
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-051&depa=1

I also have a 56k modem or 5 if one is needed.

Total w/out combo drive= $299
    Total w/combo drive= $335

That system should do your son nicely for his games. It wont play Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 very well, but it will play games like the ones you mentioned perfectly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Whoa, that's totally my moms christams gift from me, nice list!