Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help by noon friday re: turning sharper left then right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Aug 22, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

every since i had my axles installed, i can make u-turns on a dime turning left but often have to make 3 or 5 point turns going right. Now my searching made me believe that it might have something to do with my drag link. I have a raised steering block on my d60. Anyone have any advice to fix this before i take the K5 out of town for the weekend?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, it is your draglink. It is out of adjustment. Disconnect one side and then center your pitman arm, then center your wheels and you will see exactly how far off it is.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks... this is the pitman arm right? Picture

nm i know it is, but by centering it i just make it parallel with the tires both pointing straight? then center my wheel also?

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Yep, that is the pitman arm. Maybe try centering the steering box. Make sure the wheels are as straight as you can get them. Dissconect the drag link from the pitman arm. Turn the steering wheel all the way one way, the all the way back the other way, counting how many turns it takes to go from lock to lock. Turn the steering wheel back 1/2 that amount to recenter the box. Adjust the drag link in or out to get it to hook back up to the pitman arm. If that doesn't do the trick, try pulling the pitman arm off the steering box shaft, and indexing it 1 spline on the shaft in the appropriate direction. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

for my truck i just parked it with the wheels perfectly straight, unlocked the ignition, and adjust the draglink until the steering wheel went straight.

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

crap I was just about to search for this..cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif