Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help choosing some meats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Jun 3, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

ok its coming to the point were i need new tires. im looking at some 33x12.5x15 and had three that i had some questions about.

first is the bfg mtr's, i know alot of people run them and have heard some good things about them. does any body here use them? if so how do they rate on road and off.

next, dunlop mud rovers. ive only talked to one other person about these particular tires and it was the guy at discount tire. ive read reviews on it though and they are pretty good.

lastly, mud kings. i believe they are made by a company called phantom but i could be wrong. they look like a tsl and i was curios how they to performed off road as well as on.

if any body here has, is, will be running any of these tires could you give me some info on them. i plan on getting one of the three within the next 2 months. thanx in advanse for any infomation that yall have to share. im all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Out of those three I'd say the Dunlops for price. They pull good in mud and are fairly quiet. The only advantage the BFG's would have is that they will last longer.

Personally if you're planning on getting tires real soon then you should go with Procomp M/T's. They are Buy 3 get one free during June. This makes them as cheap as the Dunlops yet they last a long time.

Corey /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 85burbanator

were is this at? sounds like a good deal. i just went and re read reviews for the mud rovers since they are my first choice for the price and there was mixed reviews about how they handle in mud and snow. also anybody have any info on general grabber mt's?

4. 85burbanator

ok i went to national tire and 4wheels parts to price there pro comp mt's. they are still way more then the mud rovers and 4 wheel parts is expensive as hell. about 60 bucks more /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif then ntw. i think i might go with the dunlops unless any body has any info on those mud kings cause they look like they could be a good tire.

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention 4wheelparts is the one offering the buy 3 get 1 free /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm running 32x11.5-15 Mud Kings... they're made by a bunch of different companies (Including B.F.Goodrich) I LOVE these tires! They were wicked cheap, well, $120 a tire. They grab on everything and flex pretty well when aired down. The only gripe I have about them is that in really deep, thick mud they build up unless you rev the engine. But that's to be expected with any MT tire. If you get the General Grabber, groove them, I've heard good things about them after they've been grooved. Link to grooved General Grabber
    Good Luck finding the right tire for YOU! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    first is the bfg mtr's, i know alot of people run them and have heard some good things about them. does any body here use them? if so how do they rate on road and off.

[/ QUOTE ]

goodyear makes mtrs, not bfg. I dunno about on-road, but for offroad use they are one of the best all around tires money can buy.

j

8. 85burbanator

[ QUOTE ]
    Forgot to mention 4wheelparts is the one offering the buy 3 get 1 free /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

national tire is to.

9. 85burbanator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea thats my fault i typed the wrong thing in /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

goodyear makes mtrs, not bfg. I dunno about on-road, but for offroad use they are one of the best all around tires money can buy.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

10. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I just got my BFG Mud Terrains last week and they are great. Went mudding the day they were installed /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

They are really quiet I think, only a very slight howl at 60mph. I couldnt be happier with them.

I think Mud Kings are a good tire also. I had Sport Kings (same company) on my 88 and they wore extremely well and did great in the snow (never went in the mud with that truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I would recommend pro comps I have them and love em and there nice and cheap right now buy 3 get one free nothing like saving a 160 bucks

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like ProComp MTs too... i have a set of 35x12.5 that i have been using for a few years. good all around tires.

j

13. 85burbanator

i think im going to decide between the mud kings and the mud rovers beacause they are fairly cheap and i dont have that great of an income.

14. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I think I 'm going to go with Thornbirds.

My buddy runs them on his rig and they are great. In fact the other week he took 1st place in a mud drag competition in the stock class.

They are a little noisy on the road but all good off road tires are.

ML
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

about your tires, i would go with the BFG MTR's just because i have a set of MTR's and a set of all-terrains in 33-12.5-15 form. and love them both. suprisingly enough the all terrains are great in mud. some may disagree but i have personal proof that they pulled me and my buddy though a 4 foot deep bogg and had little trouble. plus they were almost bald. the mud terrains are great as well. will also last the longest out of your three choices to. the all terrains are quieter than the muds but still not wicked loud on the road!
    luke

16. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

thats prob why if they were almost bald then the mud would not have filled in the tread but just slung right off the tire. Did you stop in the middle of teh hole and try to start off cuz thats were the at's dont do as good as the mt's. as long as you got enough room to get speed most of the time tires dont matter. get some Xterrains i love mine!! bada$$ tires man little high on the price but they good long lasting tires /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

musta been some pretty light mud...I ran thornturds for a while and hated them! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Also achieved a whopping 15K before they were bald on a lightweight toyota!