Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help choosing tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 15, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

It's time for new tires on the 4x4 dually work truck. I've been running 6 BFG A/T 33 x 12.50R 16.5. I've always thought BFG to be a good tire but have had some problems with them on several of the trucks over the years - blow outs, out of round at about 1/2 their tread wear, vibrations - need for rebalencing more often than I think is really right. Maybe it's just bad luck.

My requirments:
    -Radial
    -Load range D
    -33 x 12.50 for a 16.5" rim. I have to stick to this size, that was what the rims were built for and I don't want to go higher ... remember it's a work truck.
    -All Terrain for quietness, but, I'd compromise on that.
    -Good wear, keeps it's shape (I guess that goes without saying!)

The 16.5 rim really limits my choice. This is what I'm looking at.

BFG All Terrian (try again, maybe I'll have better luck)

Pro Comp All Terrian (not their Xtreme series, they don't do the 16.5 in that)

Super Swamper TrXus, M/T. Load range E (I like that). They say it's super quiet ... well, maybe compared to a Bogger. It's about the least agressive tread Interco has with the exception of the TrXus A/T which isn't available in my size.

I'm open to other ideas, Cooper, Kelly Springfield, anything. If you ran it and you liked it and it's available in my size, speak up!

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I can not help, I have Boggers, they are super loud, suffer from flat spots, are bias ply, and you can "feel" the tread when going slow. I think the only tire that could be better then my Boggers would be a bigger set of Boggers!
    I will go now since I have nothing valuable to add to your post.:doah: :doah:

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am a fan of the BFG's ! I have them on my pull truck and my DD Blazer and have been real happy with them.
    The tread pattern of the All-Terrains is great on wet roads and I have had great tread life out of every set that I have had ( 5 sets to date ) .
    Just as a side note : the best "E" load range tire I have ever used was Michelins LTX's - awesome tread life and tuff as nails.

Tom

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive always been very happy with my ProComp MTs. If the ATs are made as well, I'd definitely go with them. The MTs I have are very true/round and require very little weight to balance. Good tires.

j

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My first choice would be BFG AT's. 2nd choice would be Michelin's. Third would be Nitto Terra Grapplers if they have your size.

Harley

6. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should try mastercraft tires. My dad runs them on his 2500HD, and he pulls a 30 foot gooseneck trailer which when loaded weighs a estimated 25,000 pounds. Never had a blowout or vibration. Im almost positive they make them in the size you need.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I had two sets of Interco TRXUS 285/75-16 on my ford f250 HD 4x4. The first set lasted me 66K miles!!!! The second set lasted me over 40K before I sold the truck. I've got BFG Mud Terrains on my current truck and they're okay. I'll probably go back to the TRXUS tire if I can find one that will fit my dually without too much asspain.

8. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

what about the BFG muds? I know they have your size cuz thats the same size that I have on my truck. Im happy with them. The only thing I would say is that you will prob find yourself rotating them atleast once a year (which should prob be done anyways). Ive never had any of the probs you speak of with the BFGs. This is my second set of muds on this truck, after trying some swampers. The swampers were a bad idea. :doah:Im still chasing probs from them a year later.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about the BFG Muds, but, if I'm going to stick with the BFG, I'd rather have the quieter A/Ts. What sort of problems did you have with the Swampers? Which Swampers and sizes did you have?

Eric M.

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

super swamper tsls. 33x12.5x16.5 LOUD, like an airplane taking off. So bad I didnt notice a lifter tick till I got rid of the tires. They dont wear right at all. At that time most of my driving was from danville to sf. I put a new pitman on maybe 2 years ago, so about a year of swamper driving and it is shot.

11. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

try cooper weather masters -- have run several sets on my farm and work trucks both--quiet, good in the soft stuff and best of all reasonablely priced--cheep compared to the big name outfits---just my .02 for what it's worth

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Id have to agree here, if you want more aggressive then get the BFG A/Ts, if you want less aggressive get a Michelin LTX A/T or M/S. I dont care what anyone says the Michelins are going to be one of the best if not the best all season truck tires hands down. They last forever, ride superb, and are just damn good.