Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help cleaning aluminum rims came from coastal area

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ivan, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Ivan

Ivan Newbie

Hi all. Just traded for a nice set of rims which came from the coastal area of Texas. No pitting or rust just discoloration. Have tried everything I could find with no luck. Maybe you guys know a trick from dealing with salt on the roads up north. Thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my factory ralleys got a little discolored over time. I think its just the long term effect of UV on the clear-coat that was applied over the bare metal. If its the same problem you have, I dunno if there is a way to fix it very easily unless you can figure out a way to remove said clearcoat without damaging the wheels metal at all. <shrug> I dunno...

j

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used aircraft stripper to remove the clear coat on my factory wheels because there was corrosion underneath. The finish on the aluminum is a machined finish that doesn't polish well so I use a spray on wheel cleaner for rough alloy wheels. It doesn't make them shine but it cleans them up pretty well with very little elbow grease. I usually pull my centers off because the wheel cleaner could damage them.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just a sec, gotta go look at the bottle in the garage... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, still with me? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Try some Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleaner. It really cleaned up some non-clearcoated aluminum wheels for me. I bought it on the house cleaning supplies ailse at Walmart. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think it was near the Brasso brass cleaner. Note that this stuff is NOT recommended for use on highly polished surfaces, as it leaves a somewhat dull finish. However, it did a good job of removing oxidation, then I followed up with Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish.

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Sorry this is gonna be vague /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif , but I used some great stuff on the aluminum rims on my pickup. I can't remember the name, but it came in a little round black container (think a container of car wax, but smaller). It was this pink, airy cloth stuff almost like cotton candy. It had the cleaner in there already so you just tore off a piece and rubbed the rim with it. I doubt it would do anything if the corrosion is under the clearcoat, but thought I'd throw it out there. If I can dig up the container, I'll post the name.

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

eagle 1 wheel cleaner is in a little black metal can
    but go www.por15.com,they have a kit to strip,repolish
    and clearcoat your wheels($129.00) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

windex

8. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If they are polished aluminum with no clear coat you can sand them with soapy water and 400 then 600 grit to got any pitts off. Then use a good aluminum polish like Meguiers or something.

9. McD Blzr

McD Blzr Registered Member

I had the same problem, called Eagle, they recommend Mothers. Takes a while to do, but it will work.

10. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

i believe what panther was talking about is called NeverDull. We used this in the Navy to shine stuff up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Use Ouater (pronounced water) or Never Dull they both work the same and look the same. It looks like cotton candy but works very well. Takes alot of elbow grease and time. If you want to save your finger tips this is what I do for badly oxidized rims. Use a dremel tool with the polishing attatchments (the small cylinder shaped ones work really good make sure they have the metal covered on the end) then use Mothers aluminum polish and take your time. They will turn out better then any other way and will amaze you. Best way to save your back is to take off the tire and take it inside and sit down with it. I used that method on a 4 runners American Racing aluminum rims and they went from no longer any shine to high polished and impressive. I recommend Mothers alum. polish for it because it has a silicone sealer built in and makes for easy maintenance later.

12. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Ok, no sanding, grinding, or anything abrasive. The best stuff I have ever used, seen, and heard of is called Mirror Brite. It's just like a wax, it has a chemical agent in it that keeps them looking brand new for long periods of time. Wouldn't use anything else. MIRROR BRITE. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't use Windex. The ammonia in it has a pretty high PH and will etch your wheels.

Use a PH NEUTRAL wheel cleaner and follow up with a polish.

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

That sounds like Extreem Wheel Polish. I have some at home and it works fairly well but don't know how it would bring back a neglected wheel.

15. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Just remember, if you use anything that "strips" the dirt or anything else away, when your done with the cleaning give them a good coat of regular car wax. That will help put the protective finish back on them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif