Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help! D44 installed but won't turn!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87superblaze, Feb 13, 2002.

1. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

Need Help! D44 installed but won\'t turn!

I just installed a D44 3/4 ton frontend from either a 74 or 73 truck. Everything went OK on the install but it won't steer in either direction! I think the upper and lower ball joints are "rusted" or seized from sitting in the junk yard too long.

Has anyone changed thier ball joints before that could give me a couple of tips or pointers. Never changed 4x4 ball joints before, only 2wd's. I am also going to change the U-joints at the same time.

Need Help Please!! The Blazer has to sit in the garage until it's fixed.

My Truck <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: Need Help! D44 installed but won\'t turn!

1st you have to take the lockouts off, then the spindle nuts with the specail 4 prong socket...then the brakes. Then the spindle...which if its rusted so bad it wont move you have a job ahead of you! Take a 4X4 piece of lumber and place it on the spindle..then hit it 2000-3000 times till the spindle comes off. then pull out the shaft and unbolt the balljoints...they are shot anyway so give them a good whack with that sledgehammer and the knuckle will fall right off..then go have the old stuff pressed out and the new pressed in. If its rusted so bad it wont move you better inspect the hub bearings and the spindle for pitting and rust. you could have a big PITA ahead of you. about the u joints...are you talking about the ones that connect the axle shafts and the stubs or the in the driveshaft?

3. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

I must have my terminology wrong. I am assuming by your post that the knuckle is the metal piece that has the two ball joints. Anyway, do I put the 4x4 lumber behind the rotor and pound outward toward myself or down to the ground? Just wondering which way to pound the spindle off.

The U-joints I want to replace are the ones connecting the axle shafts. I assume those come off the same way driveshaft u-joints come off correct? Is there a C-clip that holds them on?

My Truck <a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://www.community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do a search for a post called "lower ball joints" There is a good write up on the process to replace your ball joints.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't forget to ask Executioner for his info on the "ball joint pre-load". [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

But wouldn't that be preload on that factory 12 bolt front axle he has. It wouldn't be the same for a D44. [​IMG]

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The knuckle is what everything is bolted to. you have to take the caliper, rotor, and backing plate off before you get to the spindle...its the last thing to be removed before you can get the axle shafts out...after you have taken EVERYTHING off you lay the piece of wood on the spindle and let out some frustration. If at all possable try to hit it from the top, bottom, and the sides to loosen it better. As for the Ujount..it is the same as installing one in the driveshaft.