Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help.Dana 60 related

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, May 8, 2001.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have major problem with my crossover steering on my Dana 60.At about 20 mph it starts sawing back and forth on the steering wheel hard.I'm talking like 6 inchs.My friends does the same thing and his is identicle too mine.Now i have the bds droped pitman arm for the ford.I have a rockrod draglink.The steering arms on the passenger sides i made my self.Thats where my problem must be.What i need bad is some measurements from peoples that have a crossover on there dana 60.
    1.the distance from the shaft on the steering box too the center of the tie rod on the other end of the pitman arm.
    2.the distance from the grease zert on the passenger side king pin cap too the grease zert on the tie rod that is on the steering arm.
    3.is the hole for the tie rod on the steering arm centered between the cap bolts or offset too one side or the other.

Thanks for reading the long post.

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt chalk it up to the steering arm. I made my own too. I had a similar problem until i installed a steering stabilizer. Have you tried that yet? Y ou said you both have the rockrod which does not come with the parts to mount the stablizer, so I am guessing that you guys didnt install one. Try that first. Also make sure the tires are balanced properly (or as close as they can be).. Also try tightening the sterring box up. Meaning the little screw at the top (forget what it is called) It sets the pre-load? on the steering gears. There is a link to picks of my set up off my web page which is listed in my sig. Hope that helps.

'78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt rear w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://65.11.18.114>http://65.11.18.114</A>

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Can you get me any measurements.Thanks