Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help deciding tires for my truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85chevyk10, Aug 17, 2005.

1. 85chevyk10

85chevyk10 Registered Member

i own an 85 chevy k10 with 4 inches of lift and i plan on going up to 35's as soon as i can afford the tires but i dont know what kind to get. My buddys got a yoda on 39s and hes all about offroading but hes telling me to get tall skinny tires but i want to get tall wide tires like 35/14.50s or 15/50s. I was thinking some sort of swamper, id really like to get a set of gumbo monster mudders but i can never find any. Ill probly gonna end up getting bfg Mt's or some sort of mud terrains because until i get another daily driver i dont plan on going mud ridding to extreme. BFGs cost alot of money so im debating if i wanna buy a brand new set or find a pair of used ones on ebay or in the local trader. what yall think? Chris

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

get the plain super swamper tsl's or the iroks...there cheaper and will perform better off road...

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

just remember when you go wider you'll need wider wheels.and you will have to trim your fenders a good bit. i run 35-12.50 on a 4in lift and rub good on flex while turning.

4. 85chevyk10

still debating

thanks for the responses so far yall. yea i like TSL's and iroks but im worried about how long they last. i want something that will last long and ride somewhat good because my truck feels almost every bump as it is so far. I heard tsl radials 35/15.50/15 ride horrbile. whats the diffrence between the radial and the regular?everyoes telling me to get radials. I have aluminum 15x10 rims as it is right now but when i go to 35s i wanna get a set of 15x10(they dont make 15x12) black steel rock crawler rims. I like the way they look and i wanna black out alot of things on my truck. im trying to find a way to paint my aluminum rims flat black or gloss black but aint found any resources yet.

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

85chevy, are those aluminum rims 8 lug? I would be interested in buying them if you're ditching them.. I also have some stuff I might trade for them. I got a buddy that goes to school in NC, so he might could help with transporting, or if you are headding down to Georgia anytime..... :o . I got some stuff I would trade.

I've heard that ground hawgs wear good, but I don't have any personal experinece. Look on ebay.

6. 85chevyk10

sorry

sorry bo there aluminum rims for 10 bolts. im thinking 5 or 6 lug i cant remeber ive had a few beers tonight. but im interested in what u had to trade. anything u might consider selling?what school does ur buddy go to . Nascar tech?

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Sure is NASCAR tech.. I went up there and toured it, almost went myself. Aluminum Racing Radiator, Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan, Flowtech headers... Flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber mufflers.... Anything else you are looking for, cause I'm sure looking for some money right now :)......... I

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jus remember after listening to what everyone says and what is "the tire" right now get what you want if you want wide go wide no matter how many poeple say narrow is the way to go. I got IROKs I love em but everytime I look at my blazer I wish the tires were wider. Other than swampers have you considered the new Mickey Thompson tires PJ jones Dirt grip or Pit Bull tires they are all wider for their height.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you might consider ProComt MTs (i like mine, lasting forever), MTRs or SSRs. Dont worry about fat tires "needing" a fat rim, it ain't true. You can run a 44" TSL on an 8" wide rim.

j

10. 85chevyk10

i think ive decided

I appreciate the info guys. yea ive been looking around and i found an add for the Pit bull tires and i found 2 sets on ebay and man those things look bitching and there wide. There alittle more than what i wanted to spend but i want them! I dont know if i wanna get the mud terrain or the Xtreme ones. i know i want 35/14.50 and thats what the mud terrains only come in lol. Im gonna see what a shop around here can get them for and if its over 1000 ill probly buy um offline and get them shipped to my work. I wanna try to find a pair with black wheels but i probly wont have that kinda luck. Anyone know of any way i can paint my aluminum rims black?i like the bullet hole design they have. ill probly bead blast them in my shop and then take them to a paint body place because i know if i painted them theyd have runs everywhere lol.